1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell wireless Mini card reception low.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sean9461, Aug 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sean9461

sean9461 Thread Starter

Hi, I am having a problem with my dell wireless lan minicard which is intergrated into my dell inspiron laptop.

I have been searching the internet and i have found some information on increasing the power output of the card. I am wanting to increase the power output of the card, not the router for various issues.

I found some information regarding hacking into the HAL, some part of the firmware in network cards that can contain the power output information.
    If someone can provide me with a guide on doing that it will be appreciated.

Also, if anyone knows any third party software, or firmware that can increase the power output of my dell wireless mini card it will be appreciated.

Please don't reply with information regarding the router as i have been searching the internet all day to increase the power output of my wireless card and found most of the information regarding the router which i dont want.

Thanks.

2. Bondy111

Bondy111

You could always buy an external aerial that you plug in. My laptop has the same problem

3. sean9461

sean9461 Thread Starter

my laptop has an internal network card, as far as i know i dont think i can plug anything into the card to extend the signal.
    Thanks for the reply..

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Low reception really has nothing to do with the power output of the card. It would have more to do with the wireless access point, location, distance from the access point, interference. Access point may be your wireless router or a wifi hot spot. Power output would affect the ability of other wireless devices being able to recieve the signal output of your computer.

If you have a wireless router sometimes adjusting the placement of the router can make resception of its signal say in another room or at a further distance from the router.

5. sean9461

sean9461 Thread Starter

yes, but as i said, i have read about all that online but i cannot change anything to do with the router end as the routers are fixed to the wall in certain rooms in my college. This is why i ask how i can make the wireless card pickup weaker signals etc.

Thanks.

Also, when i go to the device and click on properties, then advanced there is no power save mode.

6. Bondy111

Bondy111

So does mine, the external ones are USB

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
  8. sean9461

sean9461 Thread Starter

ok, thanks, i was hoping for a software/firmware fix as i am in full time education and the money i make off my part time job goes to my rent every month so i dont have enough spare :p

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/856813

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice