1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DELL XP Reinstallation CD

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Zee, Apr 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zee

Zee Thread Starter

Hi, i am relatively new to these forums. I just had one quick question:

Okay, i have 2 Dell Computers. One is a DELL XPS Pentium 4. The Other is a Dell Dimension XPS T800R Pentium 3.
    The XPS is running on XP Professional and the Dimension is running on Win98SE. My WIN98 comp has been acting up lately, and i wanna go ahead and format the whole C drive and install a new OS. I really like XP Pro, and i have the DELL XP Reinstallation CD...so my question is, can i use this CD to install XP Pro on my other computer? I don't want to try and find out that i need to activate and stuff.

Thanks in advance
    -Z

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

You will need to activate and stuff. One copy of XP=one computer.

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

And USUALLY OEM restore cds will only work on the computer they came with, for that very same reason ;)

4. Zee

Zee Thread Starter

5. ~Candy~

As you can imagine, different things may be possible, however, we cannot and will not provide assistance getting around the licensing issues ;)

6. ~Candy~

And it appears he may be referring to a multiple license situation as well.

7. Zee

Zee Thread Starter

Okay, thanks a lot for your help.

8. JohnO28356

JohnO28356

Dell's re-install CD is tied to the BIOS of the computer it came with.

9. DebbyR

DebbyR

Hi,
    This thread is similar to the help I need.
    I have boggled up the computer at work, which is a Dell, but has been upgraded to XP. I need to format C: drive & re-install all the programs.
    The "Dell" OEM is, I believe, M.E..., which was horrible. But my question is, do I need to install the "Dell" OEM, in order to get all the functions & devices installed? Then install XP on top of it?
    I did install XP over the ME, ages ago, and it worked fine, it was the Norton System Works, that was on there, that has messed everything up. I can not get it off, so have to start over.
    Also, what needs to be backed up?
    After format C has taken place, starting up with the progamming disc should work?
    Thanks,
    Debby

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Boot from the XP CD. You can add or remove partitions and format during the installation.

It should work fine without installing ME first since the ME drivers wouldn't work in XP so the upgrade must have found XP drivers the first time.

11. DebbyR

DebbyR

Thank you! That saves time.
    What do I need to back up?
    I ask this, because I put in a new hard drive on my home computer, and when I put on the programs, some of the devices can not be found... weird... thought maybe I was supposed to back up the device files.
    Thanks for your help,
    Debby

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

You should only need to back up any documents or other personal files you want to keep.

Drivers for your devices can be found after you install XP if you still need some. We can help you find them. Just open Device Manager and see what you need.

13. DebbyR

DebbyR

Thank you!

14. icecube

icecube

There might be some confusion here, "DELL XP Reinstallation CD" is not a installation cd. It only reimages the system you bought from them. The CD is totally worthless,you'll enjoy this fact when you just want to reinstall windows.

As for Debbie R, install the xp without installing Me first. You're allowed to reactivate xp after 120 days on a new install if say the other machine it was installed on "died"
    Read between the lines carefully.
    Another tip NEVER install Norton System works. Just run it from the cd now and then and if you upgrade a system always remove the virus program before you start, or you will never finish the install properly

15. DebbyR

DebbyR

Hi,
    Ok. I'm a little confused now. The Dell installation disc... will it restore all the Dell features & such that are needed for this machine?
    And its been longer then 120 days since I put XP on. Are you saying my license won't work? Should I seek permission for this? Its still the same computer, and it is one of several licenses for that program, as well, MS Office has different license # for it. Is this going to start the whole process of permission from Microsoft over again?
    Thanks,
    Debby

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224418

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice