1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell XP Wireless Nightmare

Discussion in 'Networking' started by legionofangels, Aug 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. legionofangels

legionofangels Thread Starter

Alright hopefully you can help.

The other night I came here explaining that I thought I needed new or updated drivers for my laptop, not even a day later the hard drive died. I had one sent out immediately from Dell overnighted because I'm in my finals week of college, yet upon installing it, it showed the same error message. "No bootable devices found". Dell didn't want to help me with this without charging me some more since my laptop is out of warranty, so I told them to refund my money and set up a date for return.

4 phone calls with them yesterday and my laptop still isn't running right.

I figured out that I needed to reinstall Windows XP and that worked and it found the new hard drive. The computer turns on, all is good, but I have an Intel Proset Wireless Card in this computer, or that is what it was ordered with years ago, and for some reason I was having problems installing the drivers from my disc that came with the laptop. Some of them didn't want to install. So on one of the phone calls a guy literally sent me an email of the Video Driver for graphics and the Wireless Driver for the Intel Card.

The Video driver worked, the Wireless still didn't work. Stating this when you try to enable the Intel Proset:

"no supported wireless adapters available in the system"

The wireless driver also wouldn't install because it said I needed Windows Installer 3.1 or greater, so I went and tried to get a version, burned it to a RW DVD and then tried installing the installer, still didn't work.

All it was, since XP isn't supported anymore was a bare hard drive with no drivers or anything that my original laptop came with.

What do I need to do?

The last person I talked to at 5 this morning said I need to uninstall XP and install Vista, and then all my drivers will be compatibile. That doesn't make too much sense to me. Not only that but I don't even have Microsoft's Windows Wireless adapter, so I can't turn on the Wireless.

Any help is much appreciated!

2. huggie54

huggie54

3. legionofangels

Thanks for the response. I already went there, downloaded a version and tried to install it. My pc said while installing "update.exe is not a valid Win32 file, exiting installation".

4. huggie54

huggie54

try install in safe mode

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the 7-character "service tag number" that's on the sticker on that Dell laptop?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Whenever you replace a hard drive or format a hard drive, you need to reinstall Windows XP on the hard drive.

Since the reinstall of Windows XP won't install the drivers for all the devices in a computer, you want to know the identity of those devices and you want to have the drivers for them saved before you start.

---------------------------------------------------------------

6. legionofangels

3D9NXC1I have less than 7 hours to get this fixed. Somehow I got Windows Installer 3.1 on the pc, and I then got a driver for the Pro-set wireless, but it still keeps telling me that the signal is lower than it usually is and that there are no compatible adapters on the system.The signal keeps going in and out, I don't know what to do now. The device manager I checked and all 3 network adaptors are working it says.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    According to that service tag number, your computer is a Dell Inspiron 6400/E1505 laptop. Here is the support and software site for it. You should add and save this site to your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you refer to it when needed.

Here is the section that contains the Windows XP drivers and other software for it. Here are the driver download links for that laptop's wired and wireless adapters:

Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller

Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

Download and save the drivers, close all open windows first, then install them. Restart your computer after installing each one.

------------------------------------------------------------------

8. legionofangels

Downloaded and installed both. Still saying no wireless adapters available on this system.

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The Device Manager lists both adapters and says they're working properly?

Have you tried resetting your modem and/or router?

You might consider clicking "Report" and having your thread moved to the NETWORKING section. There are some real knowledgeable people there who can help you.

I'm going off-line for the night, so I won't be of any further use to you tonight. Good luck.

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Uninstall all the devices under Network adapters in Device Manager and reboot. Let Windows discover the hardware again. After the boot, connect with a wired connection for a test and then please do the following.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type devmgmt.msc

Please respond to all the following steps.

1. Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed.
    2. Are there any devices under Network adapters that have a red x displayed?
    3. Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed?

It would be best if you could post a screen shot of Device Manager with the Network adapters and Other devices sections expanded.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

I'd like to see this as well.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

11. legionofangels

Ok guys, I don't know how but somehow it finally started working. I just kept running the Driver over and over until it finally worked, but amazingly installing XP Service Pack 2 helped make things go smoother as well.

Now I started doing Windows Update, 77 updates needed, including Service Pack 3.

Here is my latest and I think last problem though. My pc came with Dell Media Direct 3. I literally have a button for it on my laptop near the power button. The problem is, is that when I put it in to basically install it, it tells me to go to setup and run the CD prior to the system booting up. I did that and it gave me 3 options, quit obviously, or Install on Partition C and something else. Problem is, is that if I try either option of what it's telling me, whether I can allocate space or not on Drive C or just write over Drive C it's saying it will totally erase everything on the Hard drive.

Obviously with the nightmare of trying to get the right drivers to work, the internet to finally turn on, and nearly 80 windows updates later, I'd like to avoid that as well.

Can I not download the program from a site, Torrent or not to avoid this process?

Alternatively can I not go into my Hard drive and create a Partition D and use that for the Media Direct 3 installation without having it wipe everything out on my hard drive?

If neither option will work, how can I save all the data on this hard drive, including the drivers without losing them and having to try to find the correct one's to install again?

12. JohnWill

I use Acronis True Image to make an image backup of my disk regularly. This allows me to restore a complete working environment in less than 15 minutes in the event of a total crash.

13. legionofangels

If I use that though, how can I reinstall all the drivers and what not from the DVD I burn it to, because the hard drive will be empty again?

Can you describe the process in a couple of steps, and if so, then I might be able to back up all I have on the hard drive, then redo the installation of XP and then reinstall from the backup I made on the DVD.

I know a bit about computers, but I'm no expert, can you please provide some steps, so I don't have to fight with these drivers again, as well as go through 8 hours of installing necessary updates?

14. JohnWill

Look at the site I posted. You create a recovery boot CD that allows you to boot with nothing on the computer hard disk and start the recovery process. I recommend a USB external hard disk for the backups, much more convenient than doing it to optical media.

I have an automated backup once a week, and I save four copies deep of the backups. They have been very handy several times over the years, well worth the trouble! :)

15. legionofangels

So in your recommendation should I use a DVD RW disc for the backup or should I use my 4 GB USB Flash Drive?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/943076

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice