1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Dell XPS 17 L701x operating system not found

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by deejayk, Mar 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. deejayk

deejayk Thread Starter

Today my laptop wouldn't boot. It comes up with the Dell logo, with XPS underneath, and the progress bar under that. Once the progress bar is finished it says:

Realtek PCIe GBE family controller series V2.35 (06/14/10)
    CLIENT MAC ADDR: F0 4D A2 64 34 4A
    GUID: 44454C4C-4 E00-1047-8048 C8C04F365031
    PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE ROM.
    Operating system not found.

The operating system is Windows 7 64 bit, home premium I believe

I've gone through the diagnostics, and the hard drive check said "not applicable". I checked the BIOs, and the primary hard drive is not there, but the second one is showing. I've reseated the primary hard drive to no avail. I'm assuming I'm going to have to replace the primary hard drive, but wondering if there might be some other solution. I have the original installation disks and tried doing a system restore but of course it doesn't find the operating system so can't do a system restore. I also tried system repair, which didn't help. I haven't tried system image recovery, mainly because it would replace what's on the drive with data from 2014, but I'm not sure that this would work anyway - would it? Using the installation disk I can go to the command prompt and get to the C drive which shows:
    Directory of C:\

05/25/2014 09:16 PM <DIR> DKPC
    01/12/2011 08:52 AM 528 MediaID.bin
    01/12/2011 08:53 AM <DIR> WindowsImageBackup
    1 File(s)
    2 Dir(s) 223,434,592,256 bytes free

If I list the files in DKPC it shows 2 directories, one which shows the name . (one dot), and the other shows the name .. (2 dots)

I was surprised that the image backup is on the C drive, because I thought it was on the D drive.

I decided to look at what's on the D drive, which I thought was the secondary hard drive. I know all my documents etc are on the C drive. The D drive has a boot directory, efi directory, langpacks directory, sources directory, support directory and upgrades directory, as well as the following files:

bootmgr
    bootmgr.efi
    setup.exe

Both hard drives are 500GB, and this one, the D drive, shows zero bytes free. Could this be the only problem?

I tried removing one of the directories in the langpacks directory, but it said "Access denied".

When I open the command prompt it shows that I am in Adminstrator:X:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe

When I list the files in X: it shows that the volume in drive X is boot.

It has 1 file, setup.exe, and 5 directories: $winpedriver$, Program Files, sources, Users, and Windows. It shows 30,613,504 bytes free.

I do have lots of backup - I backup nightly to an external hard drive, and last night's backup was successful. I also backup "to the cloud", so no shortage of backup. I would just like to know, before I replace the hard drive, if there is something else I can do. Already talked to Dell support, who said I have to replace the hard drive, but I'm not confident they were really paying attention to what I said. I just feel that if I can see both the hard drives, I should be able to resolve this without replacing the data on the C drive with 2014 data (hoping that will work, though, if nothing else).

If anyone has some suggestions, they would be very much appreciated!

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    Forgive me for skimming over the post, but I can tell you that your hard drive is likely dead. ESP since not being shown in BIOS and the fact that you auto switched to Pxe lan boot is another indicator that your primary boot device isn't being detected.

3. deejayk

deejayk Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. Yes, we went last night to buy a replacement hard drive, installed it last night, and did the restore from backup. This morning all is well. I should have done that earlier instead of trying to figure out a different solution.

metallica5456 likes this.
  4. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    No sweat. Glad you got it sorted. And this teaches us a good lesson, MAKE SURE WE ALWAYS HAVE A BACKUP of IMPORTANT information. Glad to hear you didn't lose any information.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1187607

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice