1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell XPS 420 failing to start

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Exarsere, Aug 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Exarsere

Exarsere Thread Starter

Hi all.
    I have a DELL Dimension XPS 420 that's failing to start up.
    It gets to the second screen, ie past the first that has the dell logo and options of f2 and f12.
    On the second screen, it tells me that my RAID-0 setup is normal and that both hdds are working. Extensive diagnostics detected no problems and i have tried unplugging and replugging my two dvd drives and two hdds. Not too confident about pulling anything else out, never built my own machine before. It has successfully booted once since the error first appeared and I have no idea why. I assumed something had fixed the problem and it was gone, but it returned after one restart and I can't get it to start up once again.
    I am absolutely at a loss for how to deal with this. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    So it never tries to load Windows? Or is there an error message that comes up, and if so what is it?

What diagnostics have you done?

3. Exarsere

Exarsere Thread Starter

It only loaded windows that one inexplicable time, but other wise it doesn't even get far enough to try, no. No error messages appear.

The diagnostics options it provided were a series of hardware examinations, with a lot of odd names. Most of them were for memory, but some for hdds and at least one for the video card. It claims that none failed. Aside from those diagnostics, and the f2 setup option I can do nothing else while the computer is on.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I wonder if the diagnostics can actually test the drives while they are in RAID-0, most cannot. You may have to disable RAID to test the drive individually.

Also if you boot from a Windows CD, and you must load the RAID drivers via F6 unless your Windows XP includes the drivers on the CD which it could if its a Dell setup, then see if it sees your Windows installation.

Do you have any data that you haven't backed up?

5. Exarsere

Exarsere Thread Starter

Sorry, I should have mentioned - I'm using Vista, not XP. I've got my Vista reinstallation disc, shall I shove that in the drive and reboot, see what happens?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes, Vista will see most SATA/RAID controllers just fine. Boot from the CD and see if it sees you Windows installation.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/745357

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice