1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell XPS 630i frozen on boot up

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by MegHughes, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MegHughes

MegHughes Thread Starter

Thanks in advance,

I have a refurb Dell XPS 630i that is frozen in the boot up process. After I had a program lock up (Media Monkey, specifically) I restarted the computer and got to the Dell screen where the option appears to press F2, etc. to enter BIOS or setup and the computer locked up.

Running Vista with 6gb ram. No new hardware/software installs that I am aware of.

Turning the computer off and on again results in the computer starting up at that exact same place. Not before - not after. Tried to boot up from cd. Will not boot from cd; starts and freezes in the exact same place. Removed the hard drive as I needed access to the data and was able to use an adapter and retrieve all of my documents and files. Got a new motherboard and installed it and replaced the hard drive. Same thing - starts in the exact same place and is frozen. Removed all the sticks of ram and got the beeps that indicate no ram. Installed one stick and had the same results - frozen in time. Installed a different stick - same thing.

Any ideas/guidance would be appreciated.

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Since you replaced the Mobo, it would likely be that some piece of hardware connected to it is the culprit.

Have you tried booting without the hard drive, or the optical drive connected?

3. MegHughes

MegHughes Thread Starter

Booting without the HDD or DVD drive connected produces the same result. Sigh.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/903564

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice