1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell XPS 720 Diagnostic Lights and Fan

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Smithbs2, Jul 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smithbs2

Smithbs2 Thread Starter

I reset all of my ram slots, video card and sound cards tonight. I also removed my processor heat sink fan and cleaned it b/c it was full of dust. When I put it all back together my computer turned on fine. I went into bios to check some things and when I saved and exited bios my monitor went black and my processor fan went full blast and the lights 3 and 4 on the front of my tower light up. Now every time I try to start my computer it keeps just doing that. Fan full blast and 3 and 4 lit up. I can't figure out whats wrong.

If anyone can help me with this, you will have my eternal gratitude and love.

Thanks

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I believe those were btx type mb. They are very prone to failure and one of the indications of failure is the fan running at full speed.

What was the original problem that caused you to reseat ram, video card, etc?

3. Smithbs2

Smithbs2 Thread Starter

Well the only issue I have been having lately is the CPU running at 100%. I reseated everything just to make sure they were all seated good and I cleaned the heat sink/fan b/c it needed it.

The odd thing is that last night, after trying to boot it up for a few times and getting the same results, (3 and 4 lights, fan on at full speed) It finally booted up. And it has booted up since. Fingers crossed for it booting up once I get home. But, I think it's time to start getting a new computer assembled lol =D.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1063362

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice