1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell XPS 730 - Help!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scotiwis, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scotiwis

scotiwis Thread Starter

Had my XPS 730 for 4 years, in the last few months it's started behaving erratically, in the last few weeks it has gotten worse, no changes to hardware etc.
    Here's what happens:

• Randomly freezes
    • Fans go crazy randomly - full blast without any reason
    • Sometimes doesn't boot up at all
    I've read about the water cooling leaking - symptoms are stains on the bottom of the case - but I don't see any stains so not sure this is the issue.
    I put the CPU overclock down to x6 instead of default x8 to see if that would make a diff but still randomly freezing / fans going crazy.
    I installed nvidia system tools and my CPU temps are showing 75-80c - no idea if this is normal.
    Any help greatly appreciated!!!
    Thanks

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No, that is not a normal temp. From you post I assume this came with water cooling or did you install the water cooling?

It may still be out of water or coolant. With water cooling it is not a question of IF it will leak, it is a question of when it will leak. Some water cooling system are sealed ie you cannot add coolant and others do allow you to check/add coolant. Have you checked to see what type you have installed?

3. scotiwis

scotiwis Thread Starter

Hi,
    The water cooling unit came with the pc when I bought it, I've never touched it. How would I check it exactly?
    Many thanks

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Open the case and look. As I said some of these are sealed ie no way to check or add coolant. Others have a fitting or cap on the radiator you can remove and add coolant. The only way you are going to find out is to look and see. While you are in the case, check to see that the cooling block or what is attached to the cpu is in fact firmly attached.

5. scotiwis

scotiwis Thread Starter

Water cooling appears to be working ok - can feel it flowing through the pipes. Everything firmly attached. Everything clean of dust. Any other suggestions? Thanks

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089061

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice