1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Dell XPS 8700 not running GTX 980 Ti

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by slygrace, Oct 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. slygrace

slygrace Thread Starter

Hi guys! I'm having a problem with my pc. I have a new graphics card that was gifted from a friend, it is a Gigabyte NVidia GTX 980 Ti Waterforce, and I'm having problems getting it to pass the POST test on my Dell XPS 8700. It works fine with my current GTX 660 in it, but when I swap out the cards, the computer gives off the 6 beeps(video card failure) on post and won't show a display on start up. I've tested it on a friend's computer, and the graphics card works completely fine, and I have friends that have a Dell XPS 8700 that can run NVidia 900 series cards. I have a Corsair CX750 power supply, so my PSU isn't a problem. I have taken out RAM cards to ensure that they weren't the problem, along with removing the CMOS battery and resetting the CMOS to see if that was the problem. I have updated the BIOS to A14, the latest edition, and installed drivers for the graphics card as well. Still, nothing has worked and I've been trying to see why this graphics card isn't working with this motherboard. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 16335 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660, -2048 Mb (Trying to upgrade to the GTX 980 Ti Waterforce)
    Hard Drives: C: 238 GB (41 GB Free); D: 930 GB (149 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0KWVT8
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

3. slygrace

slygrace Thread Starter

As stated, there is a corsair cx 750 PSU I got that's brand new. It's a 750 watt power supply.

4. Dtoolman

Dtoolman

Have you tried to just boot to BIOS only? If so does the video card work at that point? Put old card back in, uninstall it. Shutdown put new card in, and first see if it will boot to BIOS/SETUP. If so then boot to windows.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, the CX series from corsair is for a basic type build NOT running a gaming type video card. With that said, I highly doubt the pw supply is causing this issue. Newer nvidia [and amd] video cards need a uefi type bios to run. From what I can tell [which is not much since the dell manual is pretty useless] you have a legacy bios. Sometimes a bios update will allow you to run a newer card however [again because it is a dell] I doubt that will happen in this case. With an asus, gigabyte, etc type motherboard, you would have a good chance; with dell, no. Dell has no vested interest in you upgrading; they would much rather sell you a new system.

Some video card mfg include a legacy switch to enable use on old motherboards. I have a evga card that has this switch [however I do not need the switch] If your card has this switch, move it to legacy and see if it will POST.

In short, you can try a bios update to see if that will allow you to use the card. I doubt it however it is worth a shot. OR you can go back to your card that does work.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW if you decide to update the bios, be sure you read and FULLY understand the flashing procedure. A bios update is not difficult however an incorrect flash can render your board unbootable ie junk.

7. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

I don't know how I missed that......thanks for the correction.

What's the service tag number for you Dell?

8. slygrace

slygrace Thread Starter

To my awareness, doesnt UEFI only work on Windows 8? I have Windows 10, and when I tried to start the pc in UEFI mode, it wasn't very happy. Also, the BIOS is updated to the latest version. There are videos of people on youtube putting 1060s and 1070s in their dell xps 8700 with a smaller power supply.

9. slygrace

slygrace Thread Starter

Yes. The pc won't even go to BIOS before the POST fails.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No, uefi is used on win10; typing this on a system with uefi bios running win10 enterprise. The reason why you had problems when switching to uefi is that windows was probably installed in legacy mode. It is possible to switch to uefi mode however it requires a reasonably high level of skill AND you need to be comfortable working in CLI.
    You have your reason why it does not work; your system is running in legacy mode and that card needs a uefi bios. As I said some higher end cards do have a legacy switch and will work with a legacy bios.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1233833

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice