Solved Dell XPS 8700 turns on and off

oldjunk

Mike
This 2014, Dell XPS 8700 turns on and off consecutively, at about one second intervals. A new power switch was just installed. The switch doesn't light when engaged. The switch area makes a slight noise when engaging, at the same one second intervals. No image is seen on the monitor.

All fans are running correctly. All motherboard connections are well seated. A new CMOS battery is installed. 28 GBs of RAM are installed and well seated. The graphics card is functioning well. A functioning 750 Watt PS has been installed.

I bought a new power switch because I mistakenly thought the old switch was broken. It wasn't. The old switch lighted on occasion, but still had the same on/off problem.

What do I check next? Where do I go with this?

What do you mean by 'power switch' ? You don't mean a power supply inside the pc. Is that a wall light switch which controls power to a wall jack ?

oldjunk

Mike
What do you mean by 'power switch' ? You don't mean a power supply inside the pc. Is that a wall light switch which controls power to a wall jack ?
I mean the switch on top of the computer that engages the machine to turn on. The machine's on/off switch.

oldjunk

Mike
After hours of diagnosis, the intermittent start/stop problem was caused by a bad SATA connection on one of the two installed HDDs. I'm looking for high quality SATA cables that snuggly clasp both the MB port and the HDD port. Any suggestions?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Besides using new quality brand SATA cables, making sure they "click" when connected to their respective motherboard and storage drive ports pretty much insures a secure connection. (y)

oldjunk

Mike
It's crazy, though, Frank. I tried several different cables. Some worked in one machine and not in another, with the same HDD. I think it may be the port on the HDD, but I'm not certain. None of the cables "clicked" when inserted in either the MB port or the HDD port. Any recommendations on brand or model of SATA cable?

oldjunk

Mike

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts