Dell XPS 9100 won't boot Windows 7

Battlesoaked

I've been wrestling with this for a few days, and I thought I would come over here for some advice before taking the machine to a repair shop.
The machine boots Ubuntu and Windows PE fine, but when I enter "bootrec /FixMbr" in a command prompt I get a pop-up saying there's not enough memory for the operation. (There's 12 GB on the machine.) There doesn't appear to be a local instance of Win PE on the machine, so I used the one that comes with the macrium reflect rescue USB.

I'm having trouble finding a PE ISO specifically designed for Windows 7. I tried to create a USB drive from the one shown here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=5753, but the installation doesn't work in Unetbootinin Ubuntu.

How should I proceed with this? The hard drive in the machine tests out fine and all the files are there, so I'm thinking all I probably need is a "fix boot of windows" utility that will run on this machine.

Also, I can't find the CMOS battery on this motherboard. The only place I can't look is underneath the fan that's over the heatsink, and it can't be there. I'm thinking it's on the back side of the motherboard, and that side of the tower has no access.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online