1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell XPS R400 Pentium II

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by marykay_g, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marykay_g

marykay_g Thread Starter

I'm trying to install XP on XPS R400, previously running 98. I'm getting error message invalid system disc but all original discs are lost. I reformatted drive thinking the XP would go right on but I'm stuck.

2. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    It sounds like it's not booting to the Windows XP CD. You need to get into the BIOS setup and be sure the boot sequence is set to CDRom Drive, Floppy Drive and then hard drive in that order.

When the PC first powers on, you should see instructions to press a key to get into Setup. It's usually the DEL or F1 key. Once in the BIOS setup set the Boot Sequence and be sure to read the instructions on the screen to save the settings as you exit.

Let us know what happens.

3. marykay_g

marykay_g Thread Starter

Thank you for replying. I wasn't able to get into setup as it was. I was able to use an old Windows ME startup disc and installed ME last night. After the ME install I changed the boot sequence, so I'm going to replace the ME with XP tonight. Thanks again.

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

Be sure and do a clean install of XP . . Upgrades over the top of ME have not turned out well . .

wrs

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!