1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell XPS420 boot lights

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stammer, Mar 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stammer

stammer Thread Starter

My Dell XPS420 boots lights 1 3 4 instead of 1 2 3 4. Upon rebooting sometimes it will start 1 3 4 and then shut down, restart itself and shutdown again. I have reseated the memory modules, checked all cables changed monitors and I'm unable to identify what is keeping me from starting. Also I notice a black and white wire cable with 6 pin holes that is not connected. It is #15 in the owner manual. Don't know if this cable should be connected to something, but cannot find any place to plug it in.
    Any help would be most appreciated.

2. dai

dai

3. Dougx789

Dougx789

Could you please give more detail as to what the problem is you're experiencing?

By boot lights I'm presuming you mean the ones on the case.... In which case it may interest you that my order is 134 34 123 132 123.

Black and white wire with 6 pin holes.. I'm presuming you mean coming from your PSU in which case this is the power cable for a graphics card.

The XPS 420 was released with a variety of options (main important one was graphics card) therefore we need to know which you have.

Please use the tech guy info utility and post the results back here (along with the answer to my first question).

http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe

4. stammer

stammer Thread Starter

Dougx789 - thank you so much for your expertise. I removed the graphics card (Asus) and after researching the info contained on the card found that the card did not require the Black & White 6 pin cable to be attached to it. Your info was a great help to me. I have solved the problem and all is well.
    sta,,er

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1094163

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice