Dell XPS8920 Boot Failure

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You have THIS Dell XPS 8920 Desktop PC.
It was purchased in November 2017 in the U.K. and came with Windows 10 Home 64-bit.
It came with a Seagate 2 TB SATA3 hard disk drive.

--------------------------------------------------

sparky564

Replace the drive. I would backup all my important data (if you can access the drive) to a flash/thumb drive, then replace the HDD with a SSD and reinstall windows.
what would have caused this? Any ideas? It was working absolutely fine two days previously. Simply shutdown as normal and then we are where we are.

HDD's which are mechanical...means they have moving parts can fail at anytime for any reason. We really don't know why they fail but just that they do. It's no different then a part on a vehicle that fails.....why they fail is not known but just that they do.

In the mean time, you can try this to see if you can access the drive. On a different computer, download a Linux Distro and set it up as a Live DVD or USB. That means you can boot off the media and not actually have to install the Linux Distro OS. I prefer to use a USB as it's faster. Then insert USB in your PC and set the boot order in the BIOS to USB, boot from it and see if you can access your HDD. If you can you can move your data to a safe location.

sparky564

HDD's which are mechanical...means they have moving parts can fail at anytime for any reason. We really don't know why they fail but just that they do. It's no different then a part on a vehicle that fails.....why they fail is not known but just that they do.

In the mean time, you can try this to see if you can access the drive. On a different computer, download a Linux Distro and set it up as a Live DVD or USB. That means you can boot off the media and not actually have to install the Linux Distro OS. I prefer to use a USB as it's faster. Then insert USB in your PC and set the boot order in the BIOS to USB, boot from it and see if you can access your HDD. If you can you can move your data to a safe location.
thank you so much, I’ll give it a try

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Go into the BIOS (press F2 repeatedly on start up) and check System Information to make sure the hard drive is showing there:

1596479866575.png

If it's there, run the diagnostics (press F12 repeatedly when you turn it on) and you should have a menu. Choose the diagnostics option and run it to see what error you get.

Chances are the boot sequence may have been corrupted due to an update.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online