1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell's Inspiron 1100 - Adding 256MB memory card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hotskates, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

I have a couple of questions about adding memory to my Dell laptop. Will a standard
    "256 MB DDR SDRAM, PC2100 / 266 MHz" card work (bought locally at Walmart or RadioShack) along with the factory installed 256MB?

Secondly, where can I get step by step instructions (with pictures) on how to add the memory?

And where can I get a teeny-tiny phillips screwdriver to open the memory compartment?

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

No, SD RAM (in common DIMM format) will not work, as it will not fit.

You will need SO DIMM RAM (Small Outline DIMM) for the laptop, but it's common enough.

Small screwdrivers (Jewellers screwdrivers) are available in sets at most hardware stores for a couple of $

3. norton850

norton850

The Dell support site usually has pretty good guides to adding components to their systems.

4. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

All I can find on their website is how to install "desktop" memory.

5. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

"256 MB DDR SDRAM, PC2100 / 266 MHz"
    the above that I have highligted is from Dell's website and refers to the memory that I need? I assumed it was correct.

6. norton850

norton850

Yes that is how it is listed under the parts for your laptop and even though it doesn't say so it should be a SODIMM chip. I'll see if I can find the installation page.

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    to open the Memory cover it takes a standard #1 Phillips driver. to a point smaller will work, but if it is too small you take a chance of stripping the phillips head out eventually

The smallest I would go is a #0 phillips

you mighthave to look for it, but inthe search box at the top of the webpage put in your system ID tag # or just the system model number. Then you should be able to find a section about removing and installing parts. It is a downloadable file that you can print out and keep for future reference.

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    here is the like to the page for your computer. Look at the middle of the page you will find a box for download to the right of "Tell me how." This is what you want to download.

9. norton850

norton850

10. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    that is part of the download I linked. But the one I linked covered the whole computer. I downloaded the one for my computer and have used it quite a bit. Comes in handy.

11. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
  12. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

13. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

Can I get that chip somewhere besides Dell I wonder?

14. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

This is what it shows for Dell's recommended tools for replacing memory:
    #1 Phillips screwdriver
    ΒΌ-inch flat-blade screwdriver
    Small plastic scribe
    Hex nut driver
    Flash BIOS update program CD

15. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Yes you can, you should be able to use just about any pc2100 SODIMM stick. New egg has some good prices on them. You can usually find them at places like Staples or Office Max but you will pay premium prices for them there. Fry's carries them but you want to check if they are instock before attempting to make the purchase.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436870

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice