1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell's warrant?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by surfnets, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. surfnets

surfnets Thread Starter

Which warrant do you like or is waste of money to get more warrant?

SAVE $60 instantly with the 4yr Premium Solution Package [add $267 or $8/month1]

SAVE $30 instantly with the 3yr Plus Solution Package [add $188 or $6/month1]

SAVE $30 (after rebate) 4Yr Ltd Warranty, At-Home Svc, and HW Warranty Supt [add $190 or $6/month1]
    Dell Recommended

3Yr Ltd Warr,At-Home Service,and HW Warr Support plus Nights and Weekends [add $150 or $4/month1]

2Yr Ltd Warranty, 2Yr At-Home Service, and 2Yr HW Warranty Support [add $80 or $2/month1]

1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr At-Home Service, and 1Yr HW Warranty Support [Included in Price]

2. wacor

wacor Banned

depends upon whether it is a desktop or a latop

and how much money is the computer itself.

another issue is how handy you are at troubleshooting and fixing problems

3. kenneth2k1

kenneth2k1

One thing about warranties, your PC will crap out on you the day after your warranty expires, no matter how long it is. :D

4. surfnets

surfnets Thread Starter

desktop

I've computer for 7 years most of time I fix myself. Is waste of money get extenn warrant?

5. wacor

wacor Banned

I have a general feeling that extended warranties are overpriced and as a result not worth it.

when it comes to computers i would change that when it comes to laptops though as i am not comfortable taking one of them apart.

on a desktop i am up to the challenge so would never spend $300 on a warranty when for what i need i could buy a new one for about $500

6. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

Get the longest possible warranty you can with an *expensive* Dell. At least 2, 3 years. I wish I could extend my warranty. One day you'll be thanking me.

I purchased this Dell XPS gaming computer (cost $3000 CDN) back in 2004 (see specs in my name). I went with the 3 year warranty, so I'm good thru January 2007.

- July 2004: Could no longer boot up due to BSOD, had to put the hard drive in another PC, back up, reformat and reinstall XP

- November 2005: Video card died, had to replace it (would have cost me $300) but with the warranty I got it given to me and installed for me for free

- February 2006: CD-RW drive died, had to replace it (would have cost me $40) but with the warranty I got it plus had it installed for free

The warranty has saved a ton of money so far...a $200 warranty on a $3000 computer when the warranty came in good use is completely fine with me.

7. kenneth2k1

kenneth2k1

Just more proof:

Never buy a Dell :D

8. wacor

wacor Banned

Hey stranger (Dalejr.fan)

I asked how much the computer cost. And that would have some impact on the decision.

Don't know that this was answered yet.

I agree if there is a big investment in the computer that it starts to make more sense.

Ofcourse what would make even more sense if for gamers to use something like XBOX or PS2 and play games on that and downsize the computer. You spend a whole boatload of otherwise useless money to get a gaming computer that i think you can duplicate on the XBOX or PS2 can't you.

PS
    Junior better pick up the pace or he is going to miss being in the hunt!

and IMO your Dell was a lemon and that may not be uncommon anymore as seeing more and more people complaining about quality and tech support

9. surfnets

surfnets Thread Starter

I'll order E 510 computer. I custorized it because it costs $1000 without the sale tax and handle ship?

10. wacor

wacor Banned

So you would pay near 20% or 30% it appears for the cost of a warranty if you went with the 3 or 4 year??

not worth it in my opinion if you can do most fixes yourself.

but always glad to see what others think

11. surfnets

surfnets Thread Starter

yes most of time I fix myself or I post a message in the tech forum and the person replied about the problem

12. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

See in your case, I wouldn't go with such an extended warranty seeing the computer is much cheaper, not as powerful like the XPS (more power = more failure? from experience), and you can do most repairs yourself. In that case, I would just go with the 1 or 2 year warranty.

-----

Hey Bill,

My brother has the XBOX that I can use too... most of my PC games, their XBOX counterparts are nowhere near as good. I still play NR2003 from Papyrus, IMO the EA ones aren't as great, Battlefield 2 much better on PC, etc.

2x 43rd place finishes for Junebug in a row (n) , Michael Waltrip (really my favourite driver, not Jr.) is having a bad year (n) , Smoke knocked Carl Edwards out of the Chase through his idiotic behaviour. (n) Carl should have whooped his butt like he said he wanted to lol

13. dalis

dalis

if ur handy with computers building ur own is the way to go... cheaper, way more customization and a lot of parts such as video cards come with lifetime warranties

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487326

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice