1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

denied access to dos, trying to restore corrupted registry

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sire011886, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sire011886

sire011886 Thread Starter

I got the setup disks all loaded up, but at the command prompt I either get "access denied" or unrecognized command

are there suppossed to be spaces in the command lines?

I'm at this step:
    5. At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following lines, pressing ENTER after you type each line:
    md tmp
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
    copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
    copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
    copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
    copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

whats mdtmp?
    is "copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak" one whole line?
    how do I copy and paste this text?

Thanks lots

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi sire011886,

C:\> md tmp
    is a command in the recovery console that will make a temporary directory named tmp. md is an abbreviation of the command mkdir.

Issue the command: C:\> help
    to list all of the commands available in the Recovery Console, and
    C:\> md help
    for a detailed explanation of what the md command does.

C:\>copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak is one whole line - yes, i.e. without the quotes. Only use quotes in the Recovery Console when the pathname has a space in it like, e.g.
    C:\> copy "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer" ...

In the Recovery Console, you do not have the functionality to copy and paste, so
    everyone is stuck using the command line approach and everything needs to be typed out CAREFULLY!

-- Tom

P.S. In the Tips and Tricks forums, check out the thread on page 3:
    Tip: Caveat for using Windows XP Crashed.doc
    (Note: Be sure you don't make the same mistake I made - i.e. I did not do a Restore afterward! So, make sure you do the System Restore after your system comes back up!

and also the one on page 1 entitled:
    How to make WinXP Recovery Console more useful

Since you are having to now use the Recovery Console, you may not yet be able to use this information for your immediate benefit - but, do implement the suggestion when you get your system back for future reference!

3. sire011886

thanx a ton for the help lotuseclat79

now how do I gain access to the drive?
    I was denied when I typed in copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak

I don't have a password on the admin profile, which is the only profile on my comp

4. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi sire011886,

Assuming you are using another computer to access TSG, and that the other computer is still executing the Recovery Console at the C:\> prompt, you should have access to the drive.

Ok, so you don't have a password on the system admin account - just press Enter when prompted for it from the Recovery Console to get the prompt:
    C:\Windows>

-- Tom

5. sire011886

yeah this comp is right beside the busted one

I was never prompted for the password, after I put in the 6th setup floppy disk, I was prompted to hit r to repair, then I got the dos screen at which I can't do anything.

should I type exit to back up a step and maybe c:\windows will appear

6. sire011886

nope , exit just spits me back to the same error screen

7. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi sire011886,

At this point, I would extract the floppies, power down and start again. Since you got to the point where you were in the Recovery Console, you should be able to duplicate the steps and move beyond the point where you were.

You have to type all of the commands at the Recovery Console command prompt.

After you install the repair folder's registry files into the ...\system32\config folder, exit and reboot. When your computer comes back up, you may need to re-activate by calling the MS phone number for reactivation and following carefully their instructions.

-- Tom

8. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Did the hard drive you are using ever have Linux on it?

9. sire011886

I retried the process, lotuseclat79, and still can't type anything in the command console without being denied.

I've never had Linux, ozrom1e

10. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi sire011886,

At this point from everything you say, i.e. not being able to get access to the drive from the Recovery Console, there are a couple of things you can do:

1) power down and pull the drive from the broken computer, and then strap it into your good computer as a slave (secondary) drive. Then pull off all of the data you need to preserve (presumably to your good disk drive). Save the following files from your broken drive onto floppy or CD disc: C:\windows\system32\wpa.dbl and wpa.bak
    These files once reinstalled on an XP Repair Installed computer could save you the hassle of having to do a reactivation by calling MS (See below).

2) From your good computer, goto:
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPRepairinstall.htm
    Save and print the entire webpage paying special attention to the warnings.

3) After doing 1) and 2) above, you could then switch back the broken drive into its original computer (broken), and do a repair install from the OEM CD, then power down and switch the drive back to the good computer as a slave disk, and reinstall the saved wpl.dbl and wpl.bak files - finally, switch the now XP Re-installed (formerly broken disk) back to its original computer and boot it up - hopefully without having to do a reactivation with MS.

-- Tom

11. sire011886

This just in:

All is not lost, my uncle has an XP disk I can use and I have my product number on the back of my tower.

Hopefully this will work...

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!