Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Denon receiver no power

Solved 
2K views 20 replies 4 participants last post by  managed 
#1 ·
Hello

I have a Denon 9.3 receiver , I hit a bare wire and there was a spark now the receiver will not turn on, no power

Did I fry the unit ?

Please help

Thank you
Dan

#3 ·
Thanks for responding Spyware Dr , what happened was I hooked up the speakers but did not noticed one speaker wire was exposed , when I repositioned the receiver the bare wire hit the side of the receiver and there was a spark not sure about the voltage or AC/DC

#4 ·
Hmmm, strange. Speaker wires carry whatever level of current comes out of the amplifier. A typical 100-watt amplifier powering an 8-ohm speaker would produce about 4 amps at 30 volts (A/C).

Does the receiver have an input fuse that maybe got blown? They are usually found near the A/C power cord going into the unit.

#6 ·
The fuses look OK. If you shorted an output (speaker) wire, it seems like it would have fried the HOT (high output transistor) in the final power stage. You're indicating that there is no power at all evident? As in no lights, etc.?

#9 ·
I wonder if it may have blown the power supply without blowing a fuse. Can you try to unplug it for a period of time, say :30-60 and see if maybe a protection circuit may have activated in the power supply that will clear itself in time?

If this doesn't do it, you may need to decide if you think it may be worth trying to have it repaired vs. replacing it. Unless you are familiar with analog circuit troubleshooting techniques, and have soldering abilities to replace any potential components (which may or may not be easily sourced), it is unlikely that you'd be able to repair it yourself. Sorry. Not what you wanted to hear, but ...

#10 ·
Do you have a fuse in a mains plug in Canada ?
Could a breaker in the mains circuit have been opened by the short ?

I thought speaker wires didn't carry any current if there is no (music) output playing, am I wrong ?

#11 ·
I thought speaker wires didn't carry any current if there is no (music) output playing, am I wrong ?
Allan, did you ever turn up the volume on a stereo when nothing was playing? You'd likely hear a hum that increases with the volume control.

#13 ·
Yes but isn't that a small signal with the average being zero DC ?

The power amp circuits I'm familiar with either have a split rail supply (+ and -) giving 0 DC on average or an output capacitor which blocks any DC from appearing at the output.

Am I missing something here Mark ?

#19 ·
That's a shame.

Mark, I was talking about the output not the power supply, with a + and - supply or an output capacitor the dc output with no signal should be zero and I assumed there was no output when the problem happened, looks like I was wrong.

#20 ·
Like I said, Allan, this amplifier is very likely considerably different from the one in question, but I believe there could still be electrical potential at the output terminals, even with no signal.

It's academic, though, at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.