Deny access for the administrator to a networkdrive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

freaking

Hi,

Recently i've added my personal laptop to the company domain, and don't want to share my personal files with anyone working here.
"\\name\C$\"-something is a command that will leave access to administrators inside a domain even if the drive isn't set to share.

Is there a registryvalue that i can add or software that prevents/monitors this, if anyone tries?
If there are several possible answers, then please share them all so i can try these and pick out what's best.

Thanks in advance,

:)

freaking

Thanks SquashMan for your fast answer.
Is this fully "waterproof" or are there other things to consider?

Cheers M8

Any other username on the machine can still create shares. As well domain admins can still create other user accounts onto your PC 9rights granted to them just by adding your PC to the Domain. Removal of the Domain Admin from the User Manager is not suggested and usually requires your own admin rights. This may "slow down" a domain admin but it won't "stop them". Lastly if your wanting to know once your on a network any traffic from the PC is monitorable by a simple packet sniffer. My suggestion is don't put a machine onto the domain that you don't want anyone to see anything being done on it.

Is this your domain or are you "jacking" into a domain for personal use?

freaking

StumpedTechy said:
My suggestion is don't put a machine onto the domain that you don't want anyone to see anything being done on it.

Is this your domain or are you "jacking" into a domain for personal use?
You are probably right when it comes to the packet sniffer. But they can do this already through the netasq firewall-log. So i'm not worried for my surf-habbits being monitored at all.

I have a lot of files from work that i work on at home and i can't have a laptop from work. That's why i use my personal laptop. And that's why i don't want to share my personal files.

No matter how much i like him, there's no need my boss has to look through my personal files, but if he had the chance he'll do it. Why? He checks all e-mail messages of every employee on a weekly basis... (even if it's against the law).

cheers :)

I have a lot of files from work that i work on at home and i can't have a laptop from work. That's why i use my personal laptop. And that's why i don't want to share my personal files.
These are the people we give the USB jump/thumb drives to.

He checks all e-mail messages of every employee on a weekly basis... (even if it's against the law).
If its his email system and he has already notified you the emails are his companies property and they are subject to being searched then actually its not. I have my emails checked multiple times a day. I just don't do personal emails on the company email system.

Just be careful is all I am saying I know the minute I found a strange machine name on my Domain I would be inquiring where it came from.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
USB thumbdrive and axcrypt sounds like the solution you need.

freaking

Thank you both StumpedTechy & Squashman for your fast replies.
This has helped me a lot, but still i'm not sure.

Btw: it's not that i don't trust anyone on my work here or do illegal things on this laptop, (my boss himselve granted me access to the domain). It's just that i don't want to share private things on the workfloor that in the worst case can be interpered the wrong way.
Perhaps something silly like a .ppt that you get from a friend (not on the corporate email) that says: "Things to do when your boss is arround, to look bussy" or whatever... bankaccounts, I just want to be able to sepparate work from private.

But i also do some work in my private invironment so it's difficult...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online