1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Denying Certain domain users from accessing a computer?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Guldan, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Guldan

Guldan Thread Starter

I have around 50 people in a domain at my work.. how do I stop anyone from accessing my bosses computer over the network?

He is running XP

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The Windows XP firewall running with "No exceptions" should stop everyone. If by "anyone" you meant selected people accessing but others not there probably is no way. It's probably XP Pro, so file permissions could be used to restrict file read or write access to only those who know the permitted username(s)/password(s).

This response is from somebody who doesn't know domains, so there may be other methods.

3. AQ78

AQ78

a domain admin will still be able to get on if he wanted.

Im not recommending this BUT if you take his pc off the domain, put it in a workgroup with the same name as the domain. And just give him loca adminl user rights, once he authenticates ono the domain with a drive mapping etc he will be able to get his data , exchange etc AND no domain users will get access to this pc as they would require a local account.

4. Guldan

Guldan Thread Starter

Good suggestions.. I am the domain admin and me having access is fine.. So far I just made sure he has nothing shared and made it so only domain admins and his account can access through terminal services. Probably doesn't need to be more secure that that..

I need him in the domain however, it adds C$ access to all computers for domain admins so I can troubleshoot a variety of issues, also allows our antivirus full access and such, there would be repercussions of putting him in a workgroup.

thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915357

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice