1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DEP issue with WD passport external hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by qtkoala117, Feb 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qtkoala117

qtkoala117 Thread Starter

I bought a 750GB silver WD Passport essential SE Hard drive a few weeks ago. I connected it to my computer and everything went great. I backed up all my files lightning fast. I am a photographer and wanted something to store photos on to free up my computer. I then (luckily) backed up all files to disks.. taking daaaays. I was having a few issues with my computer and a few people had suggested wiping my hard drive and starting my computer from scratch. I spent an evening doing just that.

Once I got my computer back up and did all windows updates, getting me caught up since the computer is 4 years old, I plugged my passport back in. I needed to reinstall the driver, but now when I try to do so it comes up with a message saying that windows will not allow this to continue because of my DEP settings. I went into my advance system settings to override DEP on that specific file only to get another error message saying that this file must be run with DEP enabled. I am at a complete loss. I have went to both microsoft and WD's websites and read over all the troubleshooting they have on this issue and nothing is out there to help me. How do I get around this?

Why did it work before and not now!?!?! Also, when I go into my computer and look at the drive, it is showing that the drive is empty. Which means all of those files are gone, good thing I spent time with old school CD's.

please help me out.. I don't have the money to pay WD to troubleshoot this. :mad:

2. fel1x

fel1x

3. qtkoala117

qtkoala117 Thread Starter

I have already tried all the Vista DEP enable/disable settings. When I try to make an exception for this hard drive it says that it must run with DEP on.

I called WD tech and from what little of the guys English I could understand (it took him 7 minutes to understand my serial number.) he basically told me that this was not their issue, it was something with microsoft and that he didn't know anything about windows settings. Pretty crappy tech support if I do say so. I am back to looking up information on microsofts website and still nothing. I need to figure this out so that I can take the product back if it's not going to work.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/980319

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice