1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Deploying Software to Remote Computers

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rezt0ne, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rezt0ne

rezt0ne Thread Starter

Hi, have started a new job and my first job was 2 run around 40 odd computers installing a program, now my computer skills are quite good but problem is i have little experience with networks, and am almost certain there is a way to install this program (.exe) on a remote computer without having to be in front of remote computer or having to have installed a client on the machine first. its quite a simple program to install and has a silent switch for network install but im bit out of my depth. Have been lookin at windows SMS but seems a bit overkill for the job at hand. any recommendations?? all computers are windows 2k.

thanks if you can help, ta

2. jmerokx

jmerokx

copy the entire program you want to install to a network file sever & then you can use ms netmeeting to access the computers or something like pc anywhere (that's what use). Also, if it's on a remote server the sys. admin or engineer can put it in the startup script to install.

3. rezt0ne

rezt0ne Thread Starter

netmeeting no go, the sys. admins aint all that good i hav to say, they know enuogh to get by but fairly clueless really, much like myself. but start up script sounds good. one thing i didnt mention is that the app is only supposed to go on specified computers within the domain not all of them. any ideas about doin it through cmd line or batch file?

4. jmerokx

jmerokx

For the company I work for we use Trend's OfficeScan & in our startup scripts a function is written to check for trend & if it's not installed to automatically download & install it from the network file server. I don't know the exact script but I'm sure you can find it on the net. Also, you can put restrictions on it like if the username = something or if computername = something so that you can pick & choose which pcs it goes on

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325314

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice