1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

designate program installations to bigger drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nexus1968, Jun 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nexus1968

nexus1968 Thread Starter

Hi. As we all know, some program installations give you the option of actually choosing the folder in which the program files are extracted to. However, there are some which do not give you that option. Is there any way for me to configure my OS (winxp pro) so that all of my software is extracted to my F: instead of my C:?The problem is that my F: is much bigger, and would like to have all of my programs stored there. Thanks!

2. mal1930

mal1930

Hi, There are a couple of programs that can be downloaded to do that. I used COA2 from ZD Net. PC magazine. They were free but now it is a subscription service. I found it very useful as I was able to move all my programs to my F drive and it alters the registry so installers go directly to it now.. It will still be there and you could see whether it is worth subscribing for it.

There is another but I cannot remember the name. Try Google. Peace Mal

3. nexus1968

nexus1968 Thread Starter

hi there. thanks for the info. i haven't tried it yet, but i'm pretty sure it should work:)

4. slipe

slipe

If you have Cleansweep on your computer make sure csinject is active in task manager and uncheck “Fast analysis”. Manually start Smart Sweep to make sure it monitors the install. If it monitors the install it will move it anywhere you want – including another computer.

5. mal1930

mal1930

Hi, Slipe's way would work but it would mean the ones on your C drive would stay there and you would have to monitor the installs all the time to get them where you want.

I don't think the cost of COA2 would be very high and there are other utilizes that are available to download at the same time.

They were free up to the beginning of the year. Have you tried a search in Google and looked for any programs. One of the freeware sites might still have COA2 free at the site. Peace Mal

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/141038

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice