1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desk top not reading usb drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by puter hater, Oct 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. puter hater

puter hater Thread Starter

I have a Attache portable USB 512m drive. For some reason my desk top (XP) is not reading it. As you can see in the picture something is there but no letter. MY laptop reads in fine. I have tried rebooting but still nothing.

[​IMG]

puter hater

2. Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

What do you see if you double click My Computer?

3. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

try it in another usb slot.

4. puter hater

I have tried all slots.........when u double click my computer you see nothing

5. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

in another computer.

6. mcse72

mcse72

XP has a glitch to it that if the next drive letter after your local drives (HD & CD drives) is a network drive it will not post the usb drive under "My Computer". If this is the case for you, remap the network drive to a different drive letter and reboot. Then try the USB drive again.

7. puter hater

On the lap top it reads as E.

MCSE 72 I do not know how to do what you suggest.........

8. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

"network drive"????? it doesn't sound like this is the case here but i could be wrong.

puter hater

my 2 xp desktop machines have cd's and cd burners and the usb stick shows as "e" drive also

9. mcse72

mcse72

I didn't know if this is a work PC that has network drives to it. That's why I sugested that. If there is none, then disregard.

10. puter hater

This is my regular home computer with a network....

11. mcse72

mcse72

What I was suggesting before still might work even if this is just a home PC. Try unplugging whatever device is using the drive letter following your local drives. For example, C: is your hard drive, and D: is your CD drive, unplug whatever device is using the drive letter E: and plug the portable drive again and see if it picks up that drive letter. I've seen this happen before on XP in a work networking environment, but it's at least worth giving it a shot in your case also.

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First step, Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Create a restore point and name it something like "Before USB Fix". This is to bail you out if something goes wrong during the following process and makes things worse.

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG
    -------------------------- Use text after this line --------------------------------
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"
    -------------------------- Use text before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
    Open Device Manager.
    View, Show Hidden Devices.
    Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
    Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
    Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
    If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

NOTE: If you have a USB keyboard and/or mouse, you'll have to modify the instructions and leave enough parts for those to function. I don't have one yet, so I haven't had time to modify the instructions.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/508662