1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desk top powers on than goes off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jimmyv65, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jimmyv65

jimmyv65 Thread Starter

I have a desktop with windows XP. One day it would not start when I hit the power button. I had to turn off the main switch behind the tower and waited a few seconds before turning it on again. When I hit the power button it turned on (fans, lights etc.) and ran for a few seconds and then shut off. I hit the power button again and nothing. I had to shut off the main power switch on the back again. I waited a few seconds and turned it back on and hit the power button and the same thing. I have to keep doing the same thing until it just keeps running. Sometimes it will run for a minute or longer before it shuts off and I have to reset the main power switch. Once it starts up and stays on everything works fine. If I do a restart while it's running that works fine too. Can anyone give me an idea on how to repair this problem?

2. Lozzy-loz

Lozzy-loz

Check the power supply and the cpu heat sink for a build up of fluff and clean as necessary.

3. jimmyv65

jimmyv65 Thread Starter

Thank you for the quick reply. I have already cleaned out all the inner components. I do it regularly as it tends to collect a lot of dust. Anyway I'll take all the advice I can. Thank you again.

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    It sounds like a flaky power supply problem. Other than OS what are you computer specs? If you can also include the Power Supply Make and Model.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977539

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice