1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desk Top problem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by cats2me, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cats2me

cats2me Thread Starter

I have windows 98 program. This problem just started. When I go to minimize it does not show on my desk top. Can someone help me to show the minimized programs

2. Old Bob

Old Bob

cats2me,

Are you saying that "nothing" appears on the lower left taskbar ???

3. cats2me

cats2me Thread Starter

No, I have icons on lower left. It is when I am in a program and I want to minimize that program to go into another.
    When I minimize that first program it is not visible in the lower center to bring back up again.
    I hope you are understanding.
    Say I was on the internet and I wanted to check my email, I minimze my internet and go check my email, but the interprogram does not show down below so I can open it again.

4. Old Bob

Old Bob

cats2me,

"Dumb Question"

You are clicking the "_" and not the "X" ??

5. cats2me

cats2me Thread Starter

Yes I am minimizing not clicking off

6. Old Bob

Old Bob

cats2me,

Does this "minimizing problem" happen to all programs or just one in particular ???

What happens when you minimize your browser ???

7. cats2me

cats2me Thread Starter

everything disappears nothing on the bottom showing you minimized the programs

8. Old Bob

Old Bob

cats2me,

I must admit you have me stumped !!

One troubleshooting technique is to ask the question -
    "What would I do to make the system operate like that ???"
    And I can't think of how I would make a "minimized" screen disappear.

I have been waiting for someone else to jump in with a better idea.

The toolbar on the bottom of the screen does extend from the "Start Button" to the clock ??? With a "few icons" on the right end.

9. raybro

raybro

One possibilty occurs to me. Do you see a vertical bar in the tool bar section. When you hover the mouse cursor over it, a two ended arrow will appear. It should be located at the right end of the Quick Launch tool bar which is to the right of the Start button. Try clicking (left or right) and dragging the bar one way or the other while you have a window minimized. See if this will result in the minimized window being displayed. A long shot, but all I can think of.

Raybro

10. Old Bob

Old Bob

cats2me,

raybro has jogged my memory.

Minimize a screen and see if it "disappears".

Position your cursor just to the right of the Start button ,on a small vertical line, until you get a two headed arrow.

NOTE: Your vertical line may be way over to the right !!! Find it.

While you have the two headed arrow, hold down the RIGHT mouse button and see if you can move that vertical line from side to side.

Does the minimized screen name come into view ????

11. raybro

raybro

In my meanderings about this forum, I ran across this thread you may be interested in taking a look at.

Raybro

12. Old Bob

Old Bob

raybro,

I have never used XP but, I believe it has a "hid taskbar" feature that was not included in previous versions of Windows.

13. vicks

vicks

When you want to place the window in the taskbar you click on the little - sign, not minimize (square) try that and see if it works.
    vicks

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592865

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice