1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Deskjet 5550 has suddenly switched to Very Slow Printing Mod

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Hikermann, Dec 2, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. Hikermann

Hikermann Thread Starter

Windows 7 / HP Deskjet 5550: Printer has been working fine, but for some unknown reason it has decided to change over to Excruciatingly Slow Printing Mode: instead of hearing the carrier busily scurrying back and forth, it now trundles once across, then takes a long rest, then heads back the other direction. Now, I'm getting on up in those "senior years" and so my walk-abouts and hikes are becoming more and more like that too . . . but after running HP Print & Scan Doctor and trying every reset procedure I know of, the 5550 is not up to speed here.

Any suggestions toward a solution?

Many thanks. Appreciated.

2. Sponsor

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

HP DeskJet 5550 Color InkJet Printer (support site)

That's a very old printer which has a software driver package only for Windows XP and older, so it's my guess you've had it for several years.

See if THIS troubleshooting article is of any help in resolving your issue.

--------------------------------------------------------------

4. plodr

plodr

My 5550 is working on four Windows 7 computers (32 bit and 64 bit) and I can also print to it from an eeepc running linux.
    Yup, it was new in 2004 but it works so much better than any of the newer printers we have.

Is the printer attached directly to your Windows 7 computer?
    If so, do you have it connected by parallel or a USB?

Probably the easiest thing to do is swap out the printer cable and the power cable. They do go bad.

5. Hikermann

Hikermann Thread Starter

Thank you for the responses; went to the link, worked through all of the options, but no change: when a doc is sent to print, the 5550 "hops to" and makes all the "getting ready, getting set" sounds which are normal, including drawing the paper into position; then, however, it switches gears (as it were) and the print carriage makes a swipe across, then is still for 15-20 seconds, followed by the next swipe, etc. Puts this machine down into the -10 ppm category or some such . . .

All quite curious. Again, thanks.

6. plodr

plodr

You failed to answer the questions I asked:
    Is the printer attached directly to your Windows 7 computer?
    If so, do you have it connected by parallel or a USB?

7. Hikermann

Hikermann Thread Starter

Apology: USB to desktop tower.

8. plodr

plodr

Okay, find a friend that has a USB printer cable if you don't have a spare. I have spares lying around. Borrow the cable and see if the printer works faster.
    If so, that's the cable you need to replace. (they do go bad; it doesn't happen often but it happens) The slowness to me seems like it might be a communication problem between the printer and your computer. It communicates through that cable.

9. Hikermann

Hikermann Thread Starter

Replaced cable; no change. Thanks.

10. plodr

plodr

Well then I suspect that the almost 14 year old printer is reaching the end of its useful life.

11. Hikermann

Hikermann Thread Starter

Crazy: After trying all of the this-n-thats recommended on several forums, I simply changed the black ink cartridge and . . . YUP! Problem Solved. Hadn't considered that one!

Anyhow, many thanks for comments, suggestions and discussions. Very much appreciated. Now go and have yourselves a particularly refreshing end of the year holiday season!

Blessings.

12. plodr

plodr

I'm glad that fixed it.

As I said, my 5550 is so much better than 2 newer HP all-in-one devices we bought. They worked until I had to replace the black cartridge. I only use genuine HP cartridges purchased locally from a big box store. Both refused to print. The cartridges were new, sealed and not expired.
    (One of these days when I have loads of time and feel like beating my head against the wall, I'll work on one of those printers).

I don't want to waste more money buying another new cartridge.

We eventually bought a 3rd all-in-one wireless. I hope it still works when I have to replace the black cartridge.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1200449