1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Deskstar 250Gb Hdd

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by donrecardo, Jun 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. donrecardo

donrecardo Thread Starter

I just bought a new deskstar 250Gb Hdd which I am trying to install in my Compaq Pressario S3190UK

I know its got to be set to slave but I wasnt sure if I should set it up as a
    16 head, a 15 head , 32 byte clip or auto spin dissable and all of those choises are available on the drive

I went for 16 heads and booted up

In " my computer " the new drive does not appear ( I still see all my original drives there) yet in System/Hardware /device manager it shows up under drives and on clicking its properties it says this device is working properly

Without seeing it in the " my computer folder " I cant really format or partition it so I then tried partition magic
    That saw it fine and reported its size correctly . I told it to create an ntfs partition and use all the drive . It changed color as it should and all that was left was to click on make changes now but when I did that it went straight back to tell me the new drive had no partitions created

I tried various combinations, of primary or logical drive , small or large partitions and fat or ntfs but always it refuses the last step of actually creating the partition .
    What am I doing wrong ?

Regards

Don

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First I will assume your drive is showing up as the full size in the bios and is corrrectly identified.

If you are using either xp or win2k. Go to disk management; start>run type in diskmgmt.msc and hit enter. See if your drive shows up there; it should be listed as disk1, disk0 will be the master drive. If it shows up there, you need to partition and format the drive. Right click on the drive and choose to create a partition; I like extended partitions for data / storage drives. After you create the partition, right click again and choose to create logical drive. You can make the entire drive one partition or organize it into say 3 logical drives; whatever you want. After you create the logical drive you will need to format them. Again right click on the logical drive and choose format. Use ntfs for your drive. In fact if you use partitions greater than 32 gig, fat32 is not even an option.

Just think about how you want it organized before you start.

3. donrecardo

donrecardo Thread Starter

Thats excellent thank you

I now have a new large drive showing up and working as Drive H and labeled as " Big Boy !!! " Its NTFS and working fine . I didnt know about diskmgmt.msc

and that certainly did the job,

You're a hero !!!

Regards

Don :) (y)

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Glad you got it to work; we can mark this as solved.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/244026

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice