1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desktop all Black with No Icons

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by denlord5, Jun 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. denlord5

denlord5 Thread Starter

Hello Guys.Sure nice to know you're out there.This is denlord5 and I'm having a big problem with my Dell Optiplex 6×620 80gig.tower model,usig Win.7 32 bit.When I start my pc and go to desktop mouse works but there are no icons it is all black.Same thing happens when in safemode.Don't know much about computers but did do some research online.Sounds like my drive is full.Seems I have too many files and videos on my pc.When it started acting funny,not shutting down ect... I ran out to by a couple of flash drives to transfer my videos on flashdrives but I was too late.I can't even get on line now and the desktop is still comming up black with no icons .Also I can no longer hit start button and go into asessories. I appreciate any help you can give me Guys..Thank you for any help in advance. denlord5 :(

2. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Do you have access to another computer to download and create a Disc or USB drive?

3. denlord5

denlord5 Thread Starter

Hello,and thanks for your quick response.Unfortunately I am working with the one pc right now but I did manage to grab a 32 bit flash drive if that is the same thing.Also maybe they'll let me do it at the library.

4. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Yes that will work. Have you tried accessing safe mode with command prompt from the advanced startup menu and or tried the following options as well to see if it will boot into command prompt? If any of these work then I can provide further guidance to move the files.

Advanced startup options to try:
    1. Enable Low resolution video
    2. Last know good configuration
    3. Disable driver signature enforcement

5. denlord5

denlord5 Thread Starter

Hello again dckeks it's denlord5 here.My mistake.I forgot to include that I get an error message when I try to get online.Error message is:(Your connection is not secure-Your computer's clock appears to show the wrong time and preventing a secure connection.)Please ,bare with me dckeks as I am not very familiar with command prompts but I will give it my best try.Do you type 1,2 or 3 command in or does each option show itself for you to click on it?Please allow me a minute to figure this out.Thanks dckeks.

6. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
  7. denlord5

denlord5 Thread Starter

Hello again dckeks.Thanks to you I was able, at start up pressing F2,I saw an option in there to set the clock after much playing around I was able to fix the clock and now I'm back on the internet.That's great.Thanks.There was also another option f12 but it was titled "Boot Device Menu"and I saw nothing I could use there.Still looking for command prompt option.Will keep you informed.denlord5

8. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    That is great to hear. Are you able to log into Windows now then or what issues are you still having?

9. denlord5

denlord5 Thread Starter

Hello again dckeks.I finally did find the safemode command prompt option and clicked on it waited for it to load and it just came up black. What would be ideal for me would be to save my video files to a flash drive as I have too many.Recover my desk top icons because it's just black.Able to get online using task manager choosing to open one program at a time.Looks like I've run into a wall.Just want to save my video files.denlord5

10. denlord5

denlord5 Thread Starter

Hello again dckeks.Finally tried the advanced start up options one by one.It .goes through a complete cycle from trying to get to desktop back to "Windows error recovery" over an over , stuck in a loop.Is there a way to stop it.If I can then I can get back online.Crazy stuff.denlord

11. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Okay. So you are able to see task manager by selecting ctrl-alt-del? If so then do the following:
    Open Task Manager, select File > Run New Task
    type notepad in the dialog box
    This will open Notepad
    Then use Notepad to open the files you want to move to the USB flash drive
    Open a new window of your flash drive and move the files to the USB drive.

Let me know if any questions.

12. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    I guess you posted while I was replying. Now you cannot get back to safe mode and it just loops is that correct?

13. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
  14. denlord5

denlord5 Thread Starter

OK dckeks.Let me look over everything will get back to as fast as possible.I know you're busy,please bare with me.Thank you dckeks.

15. denlord5

denlord5 Thread Starter

Sorry for the screw up ,dckeks,great plan.Will look over everything carefully.I'm a lil intimidated so bare with me please,don't want to mess this up.I'll keep you posted.denlord5

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211868

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice