1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desktop boot problem after sound card "meddling"... just a "beep" failure tone.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joeblurton, Dec 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joeblurton

joeblurton Thread Starter

Hey folks,

My first post on here but I'm in serious trouble. I got a "new" (to me anyway) desktop running XP today and found the audio hardware wasn't working. So I pillaged an old machine for its sound card, and inserted that onto the motherboard. Also connected the Aux and CD lines to the top of the daughterboard.

Since then, to my horror, the machine has failed to boot. All plugged in, keyboard working, screen on and being used on another box for this very post. All I get now is the usual chirps from the internal soundcard followed by a few very low notes, definitely depressing so I guess they're suggesting something's failed. There's no further action from the CPU, the fan still works, but there is no screen output whatever.

Have I fried the motherboard without realising?!

Also, ironically, the last failure tone was delivered by my speakers through the originally non-responsive audio hardware!

I'd love a bit of help on this one, because my knowledge of computers' insidey bits is pretty poor.

Many thanks,

Joe.

2. norton850

norton850

Hi

Keep your fingers crossed but the most likely thing is something simple. You may have knocked something loose like your RAM or video card if there is one so check those.

If that doesn't work take the sound card out and see if you get anything.

3. Chris A

Chris A

Check the memory and video card to see if the got knocked lose. Pull them out and put them back in.

does hitting F8 do anything during boot?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are not getting the sound from the speaker through the sound card. The speaker is connected to the mb.

Next follow the above advise. Reseat your ram, video, hard drive, etc connections. Now pull out the sound card and see if it will boot. If it does boot OK, then shutdown and reinstall the sound card.

When you posted the "audio hardware" was not working, do you mean onboard sound or did it have a sound card you pulled out?

5. joeblurton

joeblurton Thread Starter

Hi guys, thanks for all that. Everything is connected up properly, to the best of my knowledge, but my screen output is through the video card as I haven't got the right VGA adapter. I did some fiddling and securing, and the failure tone has now gone. However, there's no real clicking from the processor and the lights on both keyboard and mouse don't work. My next task is to find a VGA adapter but obviously this is tricky over the holidays in a small town! I have a feeling I'd get a better idea of what's going on if I could use the VGA output (male, stupidly) rather than the video out.

Am I on the right lines?

Thanks,

Joe

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/666097

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice