Desktop connected to LAN only opens Google sites

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mcfo

Hi there,

I have a persistent and recurring problem that I seem unable to solve. I have a desktop computer (running Windows10) that is connected to the internet via LAN (via a NetGear router) and that randomly starts having problems connecting to websites every few weeks. It's not a router or internet issue because I have a laptop that is connected wirelessly that is having no problems.

First it starts that I cannot access any sites except for Google sites and then it slowly progresses to not being able to access any sites over the course of a few days.

I have gone to multiple sites to try and figure this out. I have reset Winsock, flushed DNS, reset TCP/IP, released/renewed IP etc... sometimes performing one of these will result in internet coming back after restart of the computer for a few minutes but after 20 minutes or so the problem returns. When the problem occurs and I run ipconfig it shows all media as disconnected. However, when I access the router from the back end, it shows my computer as connected.

After performing multiple steps sometimes it just comes back and then operates for a few weeks ok. Then the problem returns again randomly.

HELP!

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
2 things I think of RIGHT off the bat....

It could be an issue with a current or even a PREVIOUS anti virus/firewall program

It could be a bad Ethernet card (These go bad normally WITHOUT any warning, but your symptoms could definitely indicate this)

Could also be as simple as a bad Ethernet cord.

Try the above and post back if you require further assistance.

@charlotte25 The easiest way to do it is to COMPLETELY remove any and all traces and remnants of the previous antivirus/firewall program/suite.

You can do this by uninstalling the program from the Windows control panel. Once you do that, you go to the specific products webpage and see if they have whats called a "program uninstaller."

I can definitely say any NORTON products HAVE to have the uninstaller used afterwards sometimes several times to COMPLETELY remove the remnants of Norton.

However, I have requested that a new thread be made for you Charlotte so as not to have any confusion in this thread.
Thank you! Heard about norton product problem in kind of that occasion. Will make a new thread

mcfo

Ok, I'll try these and report back. I"m running AVG Virus protection.

Couriant

James
before you do that, when you lose connection to other sites other than google, make sure you can communicate to others first. In command prompt, type the following:

ping yahoo.com
ping 98.139.183.24
ping google.com
ping 172.217.4.142

If what you say is true, the first two should not work but the others should.

When you lose connectivity to google.com, do the last 2. If you lose connectivity in the pings then theres a problem.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online