Desktop connects fine to internet via ethernet cord to modem, laptop doesn't

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

paperdreams

My desktop with Windows Vista is connected to the modem with a standard ethernet cord, and when I try to plug the same cord into my laptop I don't get any internet access. My laptop is running Windows 7. I have tried powering the modem off for 15 seconds multiple times, but to no avail. I am just trying to make this connection work until I purchase a router.

Welcome to TSG:
Let's just make sure that all is started correctly for the modem power on reset :
How to power cycle

“power cycle” process to reboot or reset the modem/router
• Switch off all the devices modem, router and computers also unplug their power cables.
• Wait at least 30 seconds.
• Plug the power cords back in, but don’t switch them on.
• First turn on the modem and then wait for a few minutes for it to settle and all the lights to become stable.
• Next switch on the router (if a seperate device ) and then wait for a few minutes for it to settle and all the lights to become stable.
• Now turn on your computer, You should now be able to access the Internet.

Eliminate the router steps until you procure your router.
Then may we see from the laptop :
Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
(For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

TerryNet

Terry
Have you ever been able to access the internet with your laptop and this modem?

paperdreams

I just bought the laptop off of Newegg, and it literally got here last night. I have been using the wired connection on my desktop and have been trying to just connect the ethernet cord into my laptop to get internet. But it hasn't been working. I did the whole power cycle and still have nothing.

On my laptop:
The Physical Address is 00-00-00-00-00-00
DHCP and Autoconfiguration are both enabled.
Link-local IPv6 Address is fe80::9833:873b:b488:456bx14<preferred>
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address is 169.254.69.107<preferred>
Subnet Mask is 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway is blank.
DHCPv6 IAID is 285221972
DHCPv6 Client DVID is 00-01-00-01-14-E1-95-D4-00-24-54-FD-89-CC
NetBIOS over Tcpip is enabled.

On my desktop that has a working internet connection it says:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Luke>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Bagwood
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8071 PCI-E Gigabit Ether
net Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-22-68-68-72-B7
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::a436:9a7d:602:a652%10(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 24.190.116.232(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.240.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, July 18, 2011 1:03:05 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, July 23, 2011 1:30:01 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 24.190.112.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.240.180.21
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 167.206.254.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

TerryNet

Terry
You may have a non-Windows firewall or security suite that needs to be properly configured or uninstalled. Also try ...

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or 7.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

Cable or DSL service?
What make/model modem?
If you have cable service, they may be using a modem with a backup battery that needs to be removed when you do the power cycle step to refresh.

paperdreams

I have a cable service, but the modem doesn't have a battery so the power cycle was full. I tried the
Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log
stuff. But it didn't make a difference. I am just baffled as to why I can plug it in fine to my desktop and instantly get internet, but then plug it into my laptop and get nothing. Just an unidentified connection.

Some cable companies use MAC authentication. The MAC number (address) of the first device connected to the modem is registered with the system at the distribution center.
Try disconnecting all leads, including the cable wire ,from the modem and power it down for about 5 minutes.
I use InsightBB and they say a 30 second, but that short of a time has never worked.
Connect the cable lead and power up the modem. When it stabilizes, connect the new computer and turn the computer on.
If this doesn't work, you may need to call the cable tech service. Tell them you are switching computers and need instructions for doing it.

Most routers have a setting that allows you to clone the MAC address of a computer. When you get a router, before connecting it to your modem, connect the computer that is hooked to your modem to it and have the router clone the MAC address of that computer.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts