1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desktop connects to modem but not to router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by gamester, Nov 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gamester

gamester Thread Starter

Im helping a computer illiterate freind with and older system. Keep in mind this machine DID connnect to router before i reformated his machine.

The motherboard is an Intel (Monterrey). Also has a LinkSYS card. Desk top can connect to modem no problem. When connected to a LinkSYS wireless wrt54g v5 router, It cannot read the router at all. if I ipconfig /all, I get the computers IP. And cant ping the router either. In hardware devices, shows the linksys card ok, 1394 net adaptor ok. Then theres a Broadcom 4211 network addaptor with an exclamation point. I still dont know what that is except for what I read in forums. One said it was an onboard chipset, others refered to dialup modem. So there Im stumped. Ive been looking everywhere for the driver. cant locate.

But the question is, Is that the reason I cant connect to the router? Again to remind, It CAN connect thru the cable modem with no problem. Ive tryed all the basic stuff, made sure TCP/IP is set to auto get IPs and DNS numbers, Used the laptop to connect via hard wire to the router and it connected fine. reset the modem, rebooted millions of times, Windows firewall on and off.

Unfortunatly I cant use the driver from the Gateway restore disks because The original OS was Windows Millinnium.

Gatway, intel and broadcom was no help at all. Im stumpt. Then again Im no expert by any means. Any help appreciated

Thanks

2. theothermike

theothermike

Actually... I think that broadcom is both.... There was a combo modem/nic card that gateway used to use... take a close look at your modem. does it have an ethernet jack? If so, this card is crap, feel free to remove it from your computer.

Please post the full results of ipconfig /all
    also, did you release/renew the address after moving the ethernet cable from the modem to the router?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you truly can't connect to the router, perhaps it's simply defective?

4. gamester

gamester Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply

Keep in mind, it WAS working before I reformated the desktop. And also I hooked the laptop to it hard wire and it worked fine. SO I doubt anything was defective. Except perhaps the desktop.

5. gamester

gamester Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply.

Its just a dialup card. The only ethernet is the linkSYS card. But I will remove the dialup card and see if that dont fix the problem.

And yes, I did a releas and renew. I learned that trying fix this very same thing.

Of course if it happens to be an onboard chipset, Im in deep do do unless I can locate that driver for it.

Thanks

6. JohnWill

Can you connect to the router with a wired connection?

You did go to Intel and download the latest driver for the NIC in question?

7. gamester

gamester Thread Starter

K. It was a regular dialup modem. Been removed so no more broadcom device. now the 1394 net adaptor has a exclamation point. I had that working before. I got to remember how i fixed that.

Talk about a stuborn &*^% *(*&^% machine :mad:

8. jmwills

jmwills

Installed the chip set drivers did we??

9. gamester

gamester Thread Starter

Yup. All updated chipset drivers. Im not sure what the 1394 net adapter is either. But I figure I need to find an updated driver for it.

10. JohnWill

The 1394 is your Firewire port, ignore it, it doesn't enter into this discussion. :) If it's in error, you are probably missing the chipset drivers as mentioned previously.

11. Paynesmanor

Paynesmanor

First ipconfig, and release /all, then unplug the hub, and the modem, for at least 20 seconds, reboot your pc. It should automaticly reconnect. (Have you reset up the network connections yet?).. If that dont work, reset up everything the way its supposed to be? Try to hook the pc directly to the modem, and boot it up see if you get internet like that, (do all that ip config stuff if you cant. once you get the internet up (without the hub). Then unplug the cable that comes out of the pc, hook it to the main slot on the back of the hub. and hook the pc to the #1 slot on the back of the router. all should be good.. (its something with the pc needing to get the ip addresses, and sending those to the hub. (Basicly reinstall the hub like it was new).

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/522049

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice