• White

• Purple

• Pink

• Black

• Silver

• Gold

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mpedzi03

Hello,
I have been getting a crash every few days or so that I was wondering someone here might have some insight on how to fix. The screen in question:

http://imgur.com/a/PIXyX

I have a self built gaming desktop with the following specs:

*i7-2700k cpu
*AMD r9 290x (reference version)
*GigaByte Guerilla motherboard
*3 x 4 Gb Ram
*Samsung 850 pro 256gb SSD

Some symptoms that may be of relevance. *My computer faces the wall (so I have ease of access to the rear for port use) and I can feel the video card getting pretty hot, like the HDMI port on it

*This will happen after starting up the video game Overwatch

*It happened again a few hours ago, but this time the screen was just pure blue (like the crash screen but no writing), and nothing works, like no display etc.
Any advice is welcome.

P.S.: Can't use the sysinfo tool because the computer in question doesn't work since the last crash. I'm using my laptop currently.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
On the basic evidence available I am sure you also think that the system has overheated
To the point where something has been damaged
1. Was it overclocked

My computer faces the wall (so I have ease of access to the rear for port use) and I can feel the video card getting pretty hot, like the HDMI port on it
How close to the wall is the front of the case and does that have a front vent and more importantly a fan on that vent

3. Without integrated graphics which your motherboard does not have, as there is no video connection on the I/O plate testing must be by opening the case and checking on power up - what indications are available - are fans running, is CPU fan running

4. I am not sure if
self built gaming desktop
means you built it or it was built for you.
If you built it, then presumably you have some degree of knowledge. What tests and analysis was made to find the cause of the
I have been getting a crash every few days or so
if any.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I have a self built gaming desktop with the following specs:
i7-2700k cpu (uses 95 watts)
AMD r9 290x (uses 290 watts)
GigaByte Guerilla motherboard
3 x 4 Gb Ram
Samsung 850 pro 256gb SSD
What's the complete model number of the Gigabyte motherboard?
What's the brand name and complete model number and wattage of the power supply?

------------------------------------------------------------

mpedzi03

What's the complete model number of the Gigabyte motherboard?
What's the brand name and complete model number and wattage of the power supply?

------------------------------------------------------------
The motherboard is by Gigabyte G1 Guerrilla Killer E2100. The power supply is a Cooler Master 800 watt silent pro Gold.

mpedzi03

On the basic evidence available I am sure you also think that the system has overheated
To the point where something has been damaged
1. Was it overclocked

How close to the wall is the front of the case and does that have a front vent and more importantly a fan on that vent

3. Without integrated graphics which your motherboard does not have, as there is no video connection on the I/O plate testing must be by opening the case and checking on power up - what indications are available - are fans running, is CPU fan running

4. I am not sure if

means you built it or it was built for you.
If you built it, then presumably you have some degree of knowledge. What tests and analysis was made to find the cause of the

if any.
I really hope something hasn't been damaged yet. Usually I am able to restart the computer and it works fine under heavy load the rest of the day. I opened up my case and ran a heavy demanding video game to test to see what gets really hot, and I have included these pictures
http://imgur.com/a/g6YMx

In the first picture I am pointing to the top metal part of the r9 290x video card that is absolutely on fire to the ouch just seconds after turning the game on. In the second picture I have circled the two parts of the motherboard that get really hot after a heavy load as well.

To answer your questions:
1. No, it is not overclocked.
2. Since the issue I have rearranged the PC to have a great deal more of breathing room. It was only inches away from the wall. There is no front vent (only perforated sections that can be removed if adding extra CD / DVD hardware. There is a 7-8 inch fan on the side of the case, and a smaller one in the rear thats connected to a cooling system for the CPU.
3. The fans seem to be running. Although I am not sure how to test whether the cooling system on the CPU is functioning. The fan that faces out the rear and connects to the cooling system on the cpu stopped working awhile ago and I replaced it. Could it be causing this issue?
4.I did not build this computer myself, I bought it when I was young and stupid from CyberPower PC. Since then I have built two computers so I most of the basics / compatibility issues. I haven't done any real testing myself.
I am leaning towards a possible problem with the GPU considering how hot it gets, but how would that explain that it works (90% of the time) after I restart the PC? The fan underneath the r9 290x reference card runs so why does it get so hot?
Could the cpu overheating / going bad be a possible reason for this malfunction? It doesn't appear to be hot to the touch, although I haven't taken the (presumably H60 cpu cooling system) off the cpu to check it out / rethermal paste it.
Any ideas?

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
When was it replaced in comparison with when it crashed and will not now power on
The fan that faces out the rear and connects to the cooling system on the cpu stopped working awhile ago and I replaced it. Could it be causing this issue?
You must appreciate that this is of course only a best choice on the evidence available -

In the first picture I am pointing to the top metal part of the r9 290x video card that is absolutely on fire to the ouch just seconds after turning the game on
I suspect the card - especially as in your opening post you said

I can feel the video card getting pretty hot, like the HDMI port on it
For heat from a graphic card to be felt on the hdmi port to he extent that you consider it hot - it must be running at too high a temp
I know you mention a fan

The fan underneath the r9 290x reference card runs so why does it get so hot?
Am I not right in thinking that the card whatever the actual model is has either two or three fans fitted.

Obviously without the system running tests are very limited and effectively mean taking out the card which I think you already have done. - looking at the image and resorting to paying for testing at a local computer repair shop

When you reply please type in the box that appears when you return to the topic
Please do not reply by clicking reply on the last post, that as you can see quotes back to the poster all they have typed

Last edited:

mpedzi03

Okay, thank you for the tip, I am new here so that helps.
I am not sure what you mean by when it was replaced? I have not replaced anything on my PC. I haven't had a situation where the computer did not power on, what I meant previously was that it turned on but was not responding to any accessories (mouse, keyboard, monitor). I turned it on this morning, and it crashed again with the blue screen, upon which I restarted and it has been working ever since.

MY APOLOGIES. I just noticed that you were referring to the fan that I replaced. I replaced it maybe six months ago, and this issue has been happening for maybe a month. Truthfully I don't think that the fan is the issue.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Well I am about to sign off
I will continue when I resume about 1900 hrs UK time

You posted
It happened again a few hours ago, but this time the screen was just pure blue (like the crash screen but no writing), and nothing works, like no display etc.
Any advice is welcome.
So unless I have missed something and if I have I apologise, until you JUST posted this
I turned it on this morning, and it crashed again with the blue screen, upon which I restarted and it has been working ever since.
I had no definite idea that it was now booting and working
Although I did briefly think
I opened up my case and ran a heavy demanding video game to test to see what gets really hot, and I have included these pictures
When was this done, as I noticed you had posted the images at 2300 hrs yesterday - but I presumed the actual test was before the crash

However lets see if we can make some progress for when I return
Go
windows dir
scroll to
MiniDump
open that folder
check if there is a recent dump file
right click and choose send to compressed on desktop
then on reply use the upload a file button and attach to your reply.

That Motherboard has a temps monitoring - refer to manual please page 22
If you do not have the manual download from here
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3776#manual

Temperature Indicator LEDs
The temperature indicator LEDs indicate the temperature level of the CPU. The LEDs are off when the temperature is below 60oC; the green LED lights up when the temperature is between 61~80oC; the red LED is illuminated when the temperature exceeds 80oC.
CPU TEMP

Off: Below 60oC

L1: 61~ 80oC (green)

L2: Over 80oC (red)

also check other leds as described pages 22-24

I will be unable to look until I return as I am signing off now.
Goodnight

mpedzi03

Thank you for taking the time to write back so fast Macboatmaster, I do appreciate it wholeheartedly. This gpu, being the reference version of the r9 290x only came with one fan installed. Prior to purchase, the only negative thing about the video card I could find was that it runs very loud (which it sure does), but I never read anything about it getting so damn hot! Do computer repair shops have the tools capable of testing a card to see if it is overheating? I will look into local shops to see if they can test it if so. I really don't have the money at the moment to purchase a new card, but it is my fear that if it is the issue that it may damage some other components. I really wish I could just trim down the questions to pinpoint exactly what is causing the issue, but other than the overheating I don't really see anything out of the ordinary with my hardware.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Re your last - my sugeestion re the card was when I thought the system would not boot
No need to proceed with that now
Progress my last post please
READ IT carefully please there is quite a lot of detail there

Also as in manual check PC Health status

2-8 PC Health Status
Page 55 of manual

As I said
Goodnight - I have gone

mpedzi03

Thanks for the link to my motherboard's manual, it was very interesting to read about the LEDs and I the PC Health Status information. I have gathered from that information that my CPU is not overheating, but I will continue to keep an eye on it just in case.

I also went into my Windows directory and opened the MiniDump folder, although it was completely empty. I assume that after a crash certain information should be stored in there? I wonder why there was not a single file after my computer crashed.

A few things I am considering are installing AMD software ( although I am not sure which is best) in order to increase the fan speed on the GPU, but I am not sure what would be the side effects of forcing the fan to spin faster against factory settings. Also, I am considering getting some additional cooling mechanism for my 290x, although I haven't the faintest idea where to start in doing so.
An interesting fact is that I bought my AMD Radeon R9 290x reference card as a refurbished card (date of purchase around 3/2015) for around $250. I am surprised to see that the card brand new is around $500! I though by now that it would be drastically cheaper.

A few questions for you:
-What is the best way to monitor GPU temperature, both in relaxed mode and during heavy-use?
-Is there some sort of cooling system / fan that you can add to a GPU in order to better cool it? Are they GPU specific?
-What do you think the 5 green lights mean on the second picture that i previously included, on the lower circled black piece of the motherboard? Is it just cosmetic? http://imgur.com/a/g6YMx
-What reason would result in no files /information in the windows dir --> MiniDump folder?

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
1. No all crashes create a dump
Go Control Panel System
on left pane click advanced system settings
on startup and recovery click settings button
what is shown for debugging information

On the Gigabyte site for your board
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3776#ov
and then see this
G1-Killer™ CPU-Z is a specially 'Weaponized' GIGABYTE G1-Killer version of the popular CPU-Z hardware detection app, providing details about your system's CPU, memory and mainboard configurations, wrapped in a user interface that is more suited to your killer instincts

and click to download then check temps for GPU
Re 5 green leds they are part of the cooling system and actually indicate when all five are lit that all is OK

http://www.overclockers.com.au/article.php?id=956897&P=2

That said you will notice that this link is not for the Guerilla board but for the Assassin and indeed on the manual for your board it did confuse me, that no mention was made that I could find of those leds

mpedzi03

Under "Write debugging information" ,
"Kernel Memory Dump" is selected from the drop down menu.

Under dump file:
%SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP is written in the box.

Also, "Overwrite any existing file" is checked.

I have downloaded the CPU-Z program and will be testing it shortly. Thanks for checking that out!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online