1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desktop Custom Build Hard Drive Storage Options

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jennay73, Jun 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jennay73

jennay73 Thread Starter

Hi! I just bought my first custom computer through a local company and unfortunately I didn't do a lot of research or ask a lot of questions. My issue is with the memory. I got 4 TB's. I assumed that all four would be on the C drive for the least complicated way to access all my programs and photos/videos. Or at least 1 tb on the C and the rest on a separate drive, since I asked for a lot of back up to store my huge library of photos and videos. What I actually got was 225 gb on the C drive and 3.63 on the D drive. I'm just about done installing my programs and what I have left on my C drive for memory is 136 gigs. Obviously, my biggest mistake was assuming that these folks could read my mind. That being said, I'm wondering if what I have makes sense to keep or should I go with one one of my original plans? My concern is that the C drive is going to get all filled up in the next year or so. The other issue is that it's constantly defaulting to the C drive. The company rep that I'm dealing with said that it's better to put all my programs, or as many as I can, on the D drive, which will free up the C drive for faster processing. Is this true? If so, then I can try to keep as much as I can on the D Drive. Also, is there a way to set up the D drive as the default?

2. Paul23

Paul23 Temporarily Banned

First Name:
    Paul
    Is your C: drive an SSD? And the D: drive a regular HDD (I assume). You can move any file you want to the D: drive that you don't want taking up space on C:. You can move the desktop, photos, documents, pictures, music, and videos to the D: drive, if you want to change the location. Since C: drive is where your operating system lives, it will be the default drive for the OS. All other data can be moved, if desired. What data did you want to move to D:?

3. jennay73

jennay73 Thread Starter

Hi Paul,
    Thanks for your help. I was more interested in confirming the idea that keeping the c drive mostly free of files and programs would allow for faster processing? Like I said, the woman I'm dealing with said that was the reason for not having all 4 tb's on one drive. If that's the case, then I'll keep the current set up that I have. I've already downloaded and moved the majority of my files and programs to the D drive. Thanks!

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    We need a more accurate picture of your C: and D: drives, so please do the following in your computer:
    Download and save the TSG System Information Utility (SysInfo.exe) file.
    After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.
    Information about your computer will appear.
    Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

We don't even know at this point if your computer has a single hard drive in 2 partitions, or if it has 2 separate hard drives.

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. jennay73

jennay73 Thread Starter

ok, how about this:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 16267 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA Quadro K620, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 225 GB (136 GB Free); D: 3725 GB (3008 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., PRIME B250M-C
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    According to your TSGSIU log:
    C: appears to be a 240 GB mechanical or solid state drive which has an actual capacity of about 224 GB.
    D: appears to be a 4 TB mechanical drive which has an actual capacity of about 3724 GB(3.63 TB).

Go into the Device Manager, then expand the Disk drives heading.
    What's the exact description of the drives listed there?

---------------------------------------------------------------

7. jennay73

jennay73 Thread Starter

I've attached a snap shot of the disk drives

Attached Files:

8. jennay73

jennay73 Thread Starter

I'm also curious as to why the full 4 tb drive is not accessible? For example, it says 3725 instead of 4 gb

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Capture.JPG

Your computer has these 2 drives:

Samsung 860 EVO 250 GB SATA3 Solid State Drive
    It has an actual capacity of 225 GB

Western Digital Purple WD40PURZ-85TTDY0 4 TB SATA3 5400 RPM Hard Drive
    It has an actual capacity of 3724 GB(3.63 TB)

----------------------------------------------------------------

ADVERTISED capacity and ACTUAL capacity will be different in storage drives.
    That's why your hard drive with an ADVERTISED capacity of 4 TB has an ACTUAL capacity of 3.63 TB (3724 GB).

----------------------------------------------------------------

jennay73 likes this.
  10. 123Zbyniek

123Zbyniek

I agree with the opinion in the post # 2 / Paul23.
    On all computers (portable and stationary) I use this principle.
    Fast SSD disk for the system and installed programs and HDD drive divided into two partitions (one for installation programs and drivers and the other for documents, photos, films, music).
    In laptops where I have one SSD, I additionally allocate a partition for drivers and installation programs. Documents, photos, multimedia on a 64GB SD card.

Paul23 and jennay73 like this.
  11. jennay73

jennay73 Thread Starter

Ok, so now that you know the details of the drives, does keeping my current c drive free of programs and files ensure a faster processing speed? I"m just looking for confirmation to keep the set up I currently have.

12. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    The SSD C drive is faster than the mechanical drive D. SSD's are also more expensive so I would stay with the setup you already have.

It's best to put the Windows OS and programs you use a lot onto C so they run faster and put data like videos, photos etc onto the D drive.

Paul23 likes this.
  13. Paul23

Paul23 Temporarily Banned

First Name:
    Paul
    Here's a video that gives a pretty good idea on how to set up the ssd with the hdd. the second video is on optimizing the SSD.

jennay73 likes this.
  14. jennay73

jennay73 Thread Starter

That's what I suspected, thank you for confirming!

15. jennay73

jennay73 Thread Starter

Thank you!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211218

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice