Desktop disappeared

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

CAtaxgal

Hi y'all,

Hope you can help with this one. I have a computer running XP Pro. Today I installed some new software (tax software) and also installed a few current windows updates. After restarting my computer, the desktop has disappeared. When I try to right click to bring up a menu, nothing happens. When I try to save a file to the desktop, it apparently does, but no icon shows up.

I don't think it's a virus of any type (but what do I know!) because this computer has not been used in some time.

Any guidance/help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried to right click the desktop and choose "arrange icons by" , "Show desktop items"?

CAtaxgal

Right click seems to be disabled on the desktop. I can right click elsewhere, but not on the desktop.

Also, if I bring up the Task Manager and browse for files, there are still files, etc. on the desktop which I can access. I just can't see them on the desktop.

CAtaxgal

Ok, so I viewed that page. In my compter, the reg key in question reads

NoDriveTypeAutoRun REG_DWORD 0x00000091 (145).

I checked one of my other computers on the network and the setting is the same.

ok, did you try the gpedit?

Click start, run type gpedit.msc and click ok

Click the + or expand administrative templates, then click the desktop folder.
doubleclick the hide and disable all items on the desktop and choose disabled (if not already selected)

Try a System Restore, selecting a date before installing the updates and the tax software.

To access it select Start, Control Panel, Performance and Maintenance, and click System Restore.

CAtaxgal

Ok, followed the gpedit instructions. All settings under desktop were set to Not Specified. Changed the one that you suggested. After I clicked 'Apply' I noticed that the wallpaper on the desktop had changed from a default dell.com to just a blue screen.
Restarted the computer and all icons were back.

Right click now brings up a menu, however selecting Properties on the menu brings no response.

I am very, very happy to have my desktop back. Sequal7, you rock.

run gpedit.msc again,
select active desktop, then disable "prohibit changes" to allow the properties group
enable "enable active desktop" to allow your desktop to be restored.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online