Solved Desktop "Display Settings"/HDMI issue

bj nick

I use HDMI to connect my HP laptop (HP 15t-dy200) to my Samsung smart TV. Occasionally my laptop will go dark while the desktop is shown on the
TV screen. I have to go into "display settings" (right click on desktop) and change to display on both monitors, then it asks if I want this to be the default setting. I say YES, then proceed....but often the setting doesn't hold, and I have to repeat the process. How can I assure that the setting will hold and I won't have to keep doing this all the time?

managed

Allan
I'm not sure how to fix the problem but you should be able to hold down the Fn key and then press F4 to switch between the displays or show both at the same time.

bj nick

Hi, HP laptop with built-in graphics card, I believe, and just the one HDMI port; the TV has 3 HDMI inputs. Anyway, seems like this issue has gone away for now......a techie in the family suggests that my habit of shutting the laptop whether or not the HDMI cable has been removed might contribute to the issue....that I need to remove the cable first and not just do it haphazardly. In any case, I think I'll let this lay dormant for a week or two, and if the problem doesn't resurface, I'll mark it resolved.

bj nick

btw fn+ f4 doesn't do anything....I tried fn + all of them, and all of them +fn, nothing doing. I'll check with HP on this....

bj nick

For whatever reason, this issue seems to have gone away, so I'm guessing that not connecting the HDMI before shutting down was the answer. Regardless, not looking a gift horse in the mouth, so I'll mark this resolved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online