1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desktop displays sideways

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Remsen, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Remsen

Remsen Thread Starter

Was downloading something to my father's HP Pavillion with Windows XP. Download stalled and connection was cut, though the phone still had the connection noise. Couldn't get out of it so I did a re-start and the desktop screen showed-up rotated 90 degrees. Everything is sideways, with the taskbar at the right and all the words reading from the bottom to the top of the screen. The mouse still works the cursor correctly to navigate the screen, but moving it up and down shows up side to side on the screen. Another re-boot did not help. Shut it off for several hours and re-started, but it's still sideways. Any ideas on how to make the screen show up normally ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Stand the monitor on its side?

It is what I always wanted for working on A4 scroll free pages with a full portrait page per screen! :)

The instructions should come with your monitor. Which one are you using?

Is it a rotatable flat panel?

3. norton850

norton850

Right click desktop,choose properties,settings, advanced. Look for some sort of rotational tool or similar tab.

4. Paladin-X

Paladin-X

Ctrl + Up arrow

5. Roshith

Roshith

well.....my school computer also had the same problem........and it fixed itself after a while...
    i had also read somewhre than this can happen due to a virus also...not very sure though.......have u run an antivirus check???

6. Remsen

Remsen Thread Starter

My thanks to all who took the time to reply. The monitor is an old Dell and is not turnable. There is no "rotate" avail on the desktop properties. Control-up arrow did not work.

In case anyone has the same problem, the fix came via much research from my Computer Whiz brother-in-law. It is: Control-Alt-Up arrow.

Thanks again. Remsen

7. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Thanks for letting us know Remsen. Does it apply to the OS or is it specific to the computer?

8. Remsen

Remsen Thread Starter

Good question, Ram-Page. I believe it is probably specific to the computer. Using control-alt plus the arrow would turn the screen to the direction of whichever arrow key I pressed. However, I just tried it on this computer - which also runs Windows XP - and nothing happened. I don't know the source from which my brother-in-law found the fix. As it happens, shortly after the screen fix it became clear that there was some sort of major virus on the machine. Will be going back to square one tomorrow. But at least the screen will be upright, even if nothing else is.

9. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

I wonder if, being an old DELL it was made available for use with the old Apple A4 screen.

I think this was the first attempt to stop thinking of a computer screen in terms of a TV, and get the screen to fit the A4 paper.

Something I still wish for, so I can put three A4 portrait flat panels side-by-side and save me scrolling and manipulating Windows windows.

In-box read screen, out-box write/reply screen and application/help screen just to make the Pofessional office user's life a little easier.

Thanks for letting me know.

I live in hope.

FAT chance, as they say in the trade. :rolleyes:

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!