1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Desktop doesn't show up in wireless network.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by joerep, Aug 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joerep

joerep Thread Starter

I have a Dell Inspiron with Windows 10. I recently installed a new router a Linksys AC 1200. The desktop, a laptop, and a printer were logged on to the network. The router shows all devices as part of the network. The desktop is on-line but cannot access the printer. The laptop is on-line and can access the printer.The network and sharing center shows that the network includes the router and printer but not the desktop. How do I get the desktop to be part of the wireless network.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8095 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 530, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 919 GB (811 GB Free); E: 931 GB (632 GB Free); F: 31 GB (23 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0C2XKD
    Antivirus: PC Matic Super Shield, Enabled and Updated

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    How (ethernet or wireless) is each of the three devices connected to the router? Static IP addresses on any of them?

Can the desktop ping the laptop? Can the laptop ping the desktop?

Can the desktop ping the printer?

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Did you have this problem before you started using PC Matic?

---------------------------------------------------------------

4. joerep

joerep Thread Starter

By making some changes, my desktop now shows in network and sharing as part of the network with the router and printer. However the printer is shown as direct connect to the desktop, but the printer ( HP Photosmart 7520) is a wireless printer. The wireless printer is listed but is shown as not connected. I can't figure out now how to get it connected as a wireless rather than direct. It is shown on the router and the printer itself as connected to the network. I've not had any problems with PC Matic. My problem is that I've recently intalled the new router as listed above. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

5. joerep

joerep Thread Starter

The Microsoft community suggested I reinstall the printer using an TCP/IP address and it worked. I can now access the printer as wireless printer from my desktop. Network and sharing still shows the printer as a direct connect, but it no longer lists the wireless as not connected, so I can live with that. Thank you for your interest.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214513

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice