1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desktop, DuelCORE p4.. Takes forever to boot through Bios

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Risik, Dec 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Risik

Risik Thread Starter

I just wanted to know the likely causes that would cause a computer to try and turn on for upwards of 30-40minutes.

While windows is running it is completely fine. It was suggested to me that a battery on the motherboard is broken, But i would like a second opinion.

And more importantly was of fixing it!,

Thank you,
    Risik

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You can always try a new battery. They are cheap and should be available at walmart. Most are a 2032 however do check.

Have you tried pulling the pw connectors from ALL drives and seeing how fast it completes post?

3. Risik

Risik Thread Starter

I have disconnected everything but one harddrive .. Everything else is necessary. I have never changed a battery on a motherboard..which is why i rather not try something unless it's certain i have to, but If you really think that would be a likely cause, I will try it out.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Actually no I do not. You can pull the cmos battery out of the system and it will still post. It will have errors however it will post.

The only things necessary for a system to complete post are the mb, pw supply, cpu, ram, and [if you want to see the display] video.

I would pull the pw from ALL drives. Pull out any add-in cards except the video card; leave it installed. Disconnect any usb type device ie printer, scanner, hub, etc.

Now see if it posts in a normal amount of time. If it does, then shutdown and connect your system drive. Boot the system with the drive maker's diagnostic and do a complete check on the drive. Note you download this from whomever made the drive ie WD, Seagate, etc.

5. Risik

Risik Thread Starter

Thank you for your help!, I will reply tomorrow with my findings once I have unpluged everything!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/887157

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice