1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desktop erased. Can't Locate "My Documents" folder and "Start Menu" folders

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by jesuisroyal, Jun 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jesuisroyal

jesuisroyal Thread Starter

Good day all.

I recently restarted my computer only to be met with an empty desktop.

Also, My Start Menu is empty. I can't locate any of programs or documents.a Right clicking and going to windows explorer, I could only view : "My Computer", "Windows (C); and when I click on them, they contain few irrelevant files.

In other words I can't find my personal saved documents, "my document" folder , recycle bin and all other programs.

My wifi still works so the only thing I can do on my system is browse on the internet.

However, I can open a microsoft office file, PDF files, if I download it directly from my email or from an external drive.

I can save files on my new blank desktop.

I presume this is a virus attack.

Can anyone be kind enough to advise me on what to do?

AFTER FOLLOWING SOME ADVICE I AM BEGINNING TO GET SOME OF MY FILES BACK BUT MY START PROGRAM FOLDERS ARE ALL EMPTY. For example; when i click the microsoft office folder, it is empty.

HOW CAN I GET RID OF THIS VIRUS PLEASE?

Thanking you in advance.

2. valis

valis Moderator

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1003517

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice