1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desktop error? Task bar and Shortcuts.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JamesJD125, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamesJD125

JamesJD125 Thread Starter

Hi, i recently had a virus and i managed to get rid of it using Windows Defender and SpyBot - Search and Destroy. When i had the virus It kept loading up Limewire. So i uninstalled Limewire to stop it from doing that. then it carried on trying to load Limewire with Java so i got an Error. So i uninstalled Java. and it's stopped. and now after i've got rid of the Virus and Programs when i load up my computer it's fine for about 5 mins. then the Desktop Dissappears. The Taskbar. and the Shortcut icons go leaving just the background. i've been using Windows Task Manager to get around?
    Anyone got any ideas. i've tried restoring but the earliest Date i can get is the day it happened. i can't restore to anytime in March.
    help please ? (y)

2. kniht

kniht

Look in Task Manager and see if explorer.exe is still running when the desktop does the disappearing act.

If explorer.exe is not running, press the Windows key and select Run (or press the Windows key + r).

In Run type "cmd" without the quotes and click OK.

In command prompt type "sfc /scannow" without the quotes and press "enter".

You may be asked for the XP cd.

3. JamesJD125

JamesJD125 Thread Starter

HI thanks for the help m8. this has kinda helped the situation. Instead of staying on for about 5 mins after System Start-up. it flashes now and again??
    Anything else i could try?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!