1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desktop fails to load after log in

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Dfeeds, Aug 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dfeeds

Dfeeds Thread Starter

I have a very odd problem at the moment. As of recently my desktop fails to load anything except the wallpaper on any user.

Background:
    I've recently acquired a Trojan.Vundo.H and have been attempting to get rid of it. I found it with Malwarebytes anti Mal-ware. I've attempted numerous times at deleting the files in both safe mode and regular mode, but the virus still comes back.

I then attempted to locate the files manually. There was a single .dll file and then three registry entries (I would post then but I'm in the middle of a full scan on my computer that is infect so I shall do so when that is finished). In either mode and using cmd all were unable to be deleted. I then ran a virus scan using Avira and it found the .dll file but was unable to delete it. After a system restart I went to check to see if the file was still there and it was. However to my surprise, Avira detected the infected .dll file and was able to remove it. I then rebooted my machine and noticed the .dll was gone but that still left the three registry entries. I began to scan with Malwarebytes anti Mal-ware and it said the .dll was still there, although after manually looking for the file I could not locate it.

So then I began to attempt to delete the three registry entries. I tried going in safe mode, editing the permissions, anything I could find online to do, but nothing worked. I then backed up the registry and set a system restore and then ran ccleaner.

After the restart is when my problem started. I had to boot in safe mode and attempted to restore the registry but with no satisfaction. I then restored my computer to the restore point but that had no affect either. So then I attempted to restore to an even previous point but that also failed.

Now getting desperate, I booted up in normal mode to see if I could just mess around to get anything to show. I tried to the little trick to close explorer.exe and then run it again but that didn't work. So then I found something I could download that might work and tried to get on the internet. I then went to select a path for the download and my whole PC froze up, after several minutes my desktop was magically restored. However the load times were annoyingly slow, and after a while it would disappear again.

At this point I'm completely lost as to what could be the problem. I am hoping that the full scan will detect something and the problem will be fixed but I have a feeling it won't.

I also apologize for the very long post but I am in dire need of assistance and would figure the more information I provide, the better off I'll be.

I'm also operating on a 3.2 ghz processor with XP Home Edition.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!