Desktop flickering on Windows 10

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

heronstork

Heron
Specs: HP Pavilion Notebook 15-p164

Hello!

My desktop is flickering like crazy after updating my video drivers.

It flickers too frequently to be able to do anything once logged in.

The login screen is fine, but is missing the power icon in the corner of the screen.

I've been trying to troubleshoot this for days now (4) and feel like I've backed myself into a corner.

I called Microsoft and the soonest they can help me is December 3rd. I want to see if I can get this issue resolved sooner.

Thank you!

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
The closest that I can find from the description that you provided is the HP Pavilion 15-p164ca notebook.
It comes with Windows 8.1 64-bit and 12 GB of DDR3 RAM and an AMD Radeon R7 M260 graphics device(2 GB of dedicated memory and up to 6.25 GB of shared memory).

What's the complete model number on yours?
What's the exact product number(P/N) on it?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Do the following in that notebook:

Download and save the TSG System Information Utility (SysInfo.exe) to the desktop.
After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.
Information about your notebook will appear.
Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

Type winver in the search box and then press the Enter key.
When the small window appears, advise us what the "version" number and "build" number is.

Ronc303

Ron

Hello!

My desktop is flickering like crazy after updating my video drivers.

It flickers too frequently to be able to do anything once logged in.

The login screen is fine, but is missing the power icon in the corner of the screen.

I've been trying to troubleshoot this for days now (4) and feel like I've backed myself into a corner.

I called Microsoft and the soonest they can help me is December 3rd. I want to see if I can get this issue resolved sooner.

Thank you!
I suggest you download the video driver from HP's support website. You could also try rolling back the video driver through the device manager or do a Windows System Restore to a date before the driver was updated.

In the future, only update if HP pushes/announces a new driver. I had a similar issue when I updated my drivers once on my HP desktop. They were not compatible with HP's system's configuration.

heronstork

Heron
Sorry, it is a HP Pavilion Notebook 15- p164ca.

This all started when I installed the new software for the webcam, which comes with the webcam driver.

heronstork

Heron
I suggest you download the video driver from HP's support website. You could also try rolling back the video driver through the device manager or do a Windows System Restore to a date before the driver was updated.

In the future, only update if HP pushes/announces a new driver. I had a similar issue when I updated my drivers once on my HP desktop. They were not compatible with HP's system's configuration.
It's flickering quite a bit, so my opened windows (device manager, for instance) get shut down right away.

I also had downloaded the driver from HP's support site. This was in an attempt to clear up the fuzzy resolution the camera was giving me. It's an HD camera so the resolution was puzzling.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
HP Pavilion 15-p164ca Notebook (support site)
You should add and save this site in your browser's favorites/bookmarks list so you can quickly refer to it when needed.

This is the current version of Cyberlink YouCam for that notebook's built-in webcam.
It's for Windows 7 64-bit and Windows 8.1 64-bit, so I don't know where you obtained it for Windows 10 64-bit.

Capture.JPG

heronstork

Heron
HP Pavilion 15-p164ca Notebook (support site)
You should add and save this site in your browser's favorites/bookmarks list so you can quickly refer to it when needed.

This is the current version of Cyberlink YouCam for that notebook's built-in webcam.
It's for Windows 7 64-bit and Windows 8.1 64-bit, so I don't know where you obtained it for Windows 10 64-bit.

View attachment 253629

I obtained it off the Cyberlink website.

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/youcam/specs_en_CA.html

Ronc303

Ron
It's flickering quite a bit, so my opened windows (device manager, for instance) get shut down right away.

I also had downloaded the driver from HP's support site. This was in an attempt to clear up the fuzzy resolution the camera was giving me. It's an HD camera so the resolution was puzzling.
Try doing a restore from before you installed the first driver. You may have to do it from Safe Mode.

If that restores you back, then see if Windows 10 has a driver already on your system for the Cam. Just plug in the cam and Windows 10 will search for it.

If it doesn't have one, try the Cam manufacturer's website for an updated Cam driver.

heronstork

Heron
Try doing a restore from before you installed the first driver. You may have to do it from Safe Mode.

If that restores you back, then see if Windows 10 has a driver already on your system for the Cam. Just plug in the cam and Windows 10 will search for it.

If it doesn't have one, try the Cam manufacturer's website for an updated Cam driver.
Thank you!

I just figured it out! I had installed the wrong update for the drivers. Uninstalled, rebooted, and rolled back one updated, and boom. Fixed!

:)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online