Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Desktop Folder Security

832 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Dodger391 
#1 ·
Recently noticed that when a folder or shortcut is opened on my desktop that in the details bar next to the folder size is a security warning. It is the red circle with white line and says restricted site.
With most applications this is not a problem. However, when I try to open some such as NortonSystem Works virus scan I get a pop up warning"Current Security settings prohibit running ActiveX controller on this page. As a result the page may not display properly". The page will then open. A couple of programs will not open at all. Example-HP Director for HP photosmart printer 7550. I have not changed any settings and am current on Windows 98 critical downloads. When I look to Security settings under Internet Options there are no sites listed in the restricted section. I have gotten some Invalid ActiveX/COM problems when running Norton Win Doctor that have been corrected. On line virus scan is clean. Please provide any reccomendations.

#2 ·
in the internet options... what security level does it show if you click on the custom button on the security tab?

#3 ·
ok, there are two things in the same menu (internet options/ custom level/ security) that can be changed (be sure you understand what these security settings mean)
changing them may solve the problem... im not sure but lets give it a try.
the first one to change says "download unsigned activex controls"
check prompt
second one- "initalize and script activex controls not marked as safe"
check prompt

#5 ·
Problem Solved! A friend suggested uninstalling and then reinstalling my web browser. When I went to uninstall Inyernet Explorer 6.0 it took me back to the last setup. The problem went away and all of the programs on my desktop worked correctly. I reinstalled 6.0 and everything was still fine. I then got a critical updates notification for SP1 to I.E. 6.0 When I installed the update the problem of restricted sites returned. When I unistalled it everything was fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.