1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desktop Folder Security

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Dodger391, Sep 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dodger391

Dodger391 Thread Starter

Recently noticed that when a folder or shortcut is opened on my desktop that in the details bar next to the folder size is a security warning. It is the red circle with white line and says restricted site.
    With most applications this is not a problem. However, when I try to open some such as NortonSystem Works virus scan I get a pop up warning"Current Security settings prohibit running ActiveX controller on this page. As a result the page may not display properly". The page will then open. A couple of programs will not open at all. Example-HP Director for HP photosmart printer 7550. I have not changed any settings and am current on Windows 98 critical downloads. When I look to Security settings under Internet Options there are no sites listed in the restricted section. I have gotten some Invalid ActiveX/COM problems when running Norton Win Doctor that have been corrected. On line virus scan is clean. Please provide any reccomendations.

2. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

in the internet options... what security level does it show if you click on the custom button on the security tab?

3. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

ok, there are two things in the same menu (internet options/ custom level/ security) that can be changed (be sure you understand what these security settings mean)
    changing them may solve the problem... im not sure but lets give it a try.
    the first one to change says "download unsigned activex controls"
    check prompt
    second one- "initalize and script activex controls not marked as safe"
    check prompt

4. Dodger391

Dodger391 Thread Starter

I reset the security options as described and restarted the computer. There was no change to the desk top folders being listed as restricted sites or active X warnings.

5. Dodger391

Dodger391 Thread Starter

Problem Solved! A friend suggested uninstalling and then reinstalling my web browser. When I went to uninstall Inyernet Explorer 6.0 it took me back to the last setup. The problem went away and all of the programs on my desktop worked correctly. I reinstalled 6.0 and everything was still fine. I then got a critical updates notification for SP1 to I.E. 6.0 When I installed the update the problem of restricted sites returned. When I unistalled it everything was fine.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164296

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice