1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desktop freezeing, not showing icons

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by brokenaxl, Aug 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brokenaxl

brokenaxl Thread Starter

I have a windows XP, gateway 200gig768ram. Upon rebooting yesterday, my pc loaded fine until my desktop came up. The background picture appeared and stayed this way for a while with no icons. I reboooted again, still the same. Finally , while rebooting I inserted my Microsoft Office XP Professional startup CD and it kicked on and said I had a desktop recovery. Everything worked fine after that.

I rebooted again and it did the same thing:eek: . I have then backed up all important files, but how do I repair this problem of freezing?:rolleyes:

2. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy brokenaxl...

As a test when it boots up, and you see the back ground picture, try pressing the keys Ctrl + Alt + Del on the keyboard, and see if the Task Manager comes up, if it does try clicking on File - New Task, in the box type in Explorer.exe, and see if it brings up the Icons...

Also try booting into Safe Mode ( by tapping F8 during boot ) and see if the Desktop and Icons appear...

3. brokenaxl

brokenaxl Thread Starter

Yes, c-a-d does bring up task manager but there are no programs running in applications. Then a few seconds after that it freezes up where nothing works. It seems as though if you try to click on anything it follows w/a freeze up. I havent tried the explorer.exe in Run - Will this just give it a good kick?

I have not tried safe mode yet.

THanks jedi master

4. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

I'm not really concerned with this, just wanted to know if it would come up and if you would follow these instructions...

And see if the icons would show up...

Try it...I suspect you have a virus, IMHO...

5. brokenaxl

brokenaxl Thread Starter

I have had Norton Antivirus and Norton Internet Security (symantec) since 2002 and have recently scanned on Friday Aug 4 , showing no virus detection. I did recently have a hard drive go bad from what I think was a virus in May 06. Since then I scan regularly.

If this is a virus, e.t.a. on shutdown?

6. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

That's neither here nor there, you should IMHO dump Norton and use AVG. If we can get this pc up and running...

Have you tried my suggestions ??

Now I'm not sure how often you're updating your definitions, but...if I'm not mistaken Symantec discontinued support for the 2002 version, so your definitions may be out of date...

Try booting in Safe Mode...

7. Aus_Louie

Aus_Louie

maybe if you have another Hard Drive you can Backup all your important files and format the HD im most certain that will help

8. brokenaxl

brokenaxl Thread Starter

Actually I haven't tried your suggestions. I am @ work (shhhhh), and will be home in an hour where I will begin trying your suggestions. I update the symantec definitions regularly, but not in a few weeks.

By the way, the pc is presently up and running.

Thanks jedi master for trying to help. I will repost around 3am central

9. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

WTF...

What's going on with this pc ??

Is it running or is it not ??

form your problem it's not..

Is it running or is it locking up ??

10. brokenaxl

brokenaxl Thread Starter

The pc works fine once I performed the above action. But then, once I try to reboot , it happens again.

11. brokenaxl

brokenaxl Thread Starter

OK , its working now. I also found that the volume control on my pc was missing so I uninstalled the soundMAX driver and reinstalled using the Drivers boot disc. THis seemed to correct the issue.

Thanks to all who listened and helped.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!