Desktop frozen

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Blindy8

I was working to install drivers for a Memorex Travel Drive on my mother's Win98 SE system. I was able to download the driver files to her desktop and installed the executable Memorex file after extracting it from Winzip. The computer found the new hardware and took me through the process of installing the drivers.

Unfortunately, I received an error message indicating that the drivers couldn't install as they weren't compatible with the cabinet files. I figured I would have to call Memorex on this next time I was at my mother's house.

I just got a call from her that now her desktop is frozen. She can open programs like word, but can't open anything on the desktop. The mouse works so it's not like the system itself is frozen. I had her do a scan disk after a cold boot and when Windows came back on, the desktop remained frozen.

I'm wondering if I should look to remove the Memorex files to a floppy and reinstall Windows or are there other remedies I haven't considered?

You could go into the DEVICE MANAGER and right click and remove the MEMOREX TRAVEL DRIVE and re-start the computer.
See if this helps.

Blindy8

It was my error. Memorex doesn't have serial numbers or product ID's on the Travel Drive I bought. There were several 512 MB Travel Drive drivers to download on their site. Mine had a grey insert where 516 MB is indicated but I had to scroll down further to see that. I had downloaded the driver for the drive above it in their queue. Once I downloaded the proper driver, the drive worked properly.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online