1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Desktop - GPU/CPU temp help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Orbtris, May 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Orbtris

Orbtris Thread Starter

So I recently got a new desktop computer and it gets hot at the back where th GPU and CPU is I assume as I brought a pre-built. I am wondering if these degrees are fine..

Nvidia GTX-1060 6GB - When gaming 80-85 degress Cel (normally stays 82)

Intel i7-7700 - 50-70 degress Cel (normally 57)

2. Paul23

Paul23 Temporarily Banned

First Name:
    Paul
    85 Celcius is 185 degrees. That is too hot. 57 for the CPU is not extremely hot, but it shouldn't be getting that hot. I would recommend either taking the PC to a shop or if you can do it yourself, to put some new thermal compound on the CPU and upgrade to a better CPU fan. In the GPU's case, are you sure the fans turn on? 185 fahrenheit will kill that GPU in short order. You can also apply new thermal compound to the GPU. 185 makes me think the fans are not working. Also adding a couple of case fans one at the front drawing air in, and another at the back pushing air out. You can download MSI Afterburner (for the GPU) and turn the fans on to a higher speed, see if you are still getting high temps. https://www.msi.com/page/afterburner

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  3. Orbtris

Orbtris Thread Starter

I talked to a computer expert and apparently its alright. But anything over 90 is bad

4. Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
    You definitely need more fans, I would conjecture. That would be too hot a temp for my card, for sure. Mine runs at 54 to 67 celcius in game, but I have 7 case fans. Don't forget about the MSI afterburner. You can turn your GPU fans on all the time or just increase the % to a higher setting. Here what some experts think... http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3124398/85c-hot-gpu.html

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

85C is ok for a video card; they can get quite a bit hotter than a cpu. 70C for the cpu is ok IF it is under 100% load ie while running a stress test. If that temp is being reached under a light or normal load, it is too hot.
    Neither of these are located at the back of the case. The cpu is near the upper/middle of the motherboard and the video card is below that. The exhaust air from the video card goes out the rear of the case which is what you may be feeling. The part of the video card that generates heat is pretty far from the rear of the case.

6. Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
    I wasn't saying that 85C is out of bounds for a video card...I just wouldn't be happy with it if it were my rig, and would be looking into getting it down.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1209807

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice