1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desktop has a triple screen but safe mode works

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mysislea, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mysislea

mysislea Thread Starter

Hey all, I have windows 2000. I turned it on and when I got to the desktop it was all weird. It has like three or four fuzzy split screens. I can get into safe mode and even ran the AVG to check for viruses. I didn't find any. I tried to get the computer to last known good configuration, but that didn't work. Any suggestions? Thanks Lea

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi try.
    Boot from the install Cd>at the recovery console.
    Type.
    chkdsk /r [note space]
    If no joy>at the recovery console type>repair.

3. mysislea

mysislea Thread Starter

Um...I don't have an install cd. I got the computer used with windows 2000 professional on it already. Any other way to repair? Thanks Lea

4. The Hound

The Hound

Try this:

Click start, run, type devmgmt.msc and click ok.
    Click the plus to expand Display Adapters, and right click and uninstall all display adapters listed there-yes, you're sure if prompted.
    Reboot, and see if Windows rediscovers and reloads the drivers--that may clear up the display.

5. mysislea

mysislea Thread Starter

Ok thanks. I did that and now I am just waiting. When I restarted it said new hardware found and told me to insert a disk. I don't have one, so I just pushed OK. It looks like it is checking c drive for the device it needs, but it is taking a long time. It only had one device. Should I restart and try again? Thanks Lea

6. mysislea

mysislea Thread Starter

Ok here is an update. It said it found the file on C, but wants me to type a path for it. The file it needs is '181xnt5.sys' and it has already typed in the path as C:\winnt\drivers\intel\graphics. When I click OK nothing happens. Help!! Thanks Lea

7. mysislea

mysislea Thread Starter

I was able to go online and download the driver I needed. It seems to be working OK now. Thanks for the help. Lea

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!