Desktop hidden by black screen

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jawilki

Occasionally at bootup, I will get this "IOS(04) + 00000178 Error: 0E:0028:C0252840 Press any key" After pressing any key my desk top is hidden by a black screen. When the mouse pointer passes over an Icon it will show up and can be activated. I am using ME.

Jawilki

Thanks Eddie for the suggestion. I went to the support microsoft file you recommend & that fix didn't apply to Windows Me. I don't have taht file. I will return to support & see what else is available. Thanks again

Jawilki

I tried the 187214 fix, but don't ahve that file. It appears these fixes are for Win 95 & 98. I did find article 308366 that I have to try & digest. I do have Norton Firewall & anti-virus that I won't give up to stop a once in awhile problem w/windows.

Thanks again

Jack

Do you have any Iomega tools installed?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q243037

Also, this is a real longshot, but I see the first part of that memory address for the IOS folder vxd associated with cdts.vxd

CDTSD (01) = c100903c L 00000178 end c10091b4

You could try replacing it by running msconfig and using the "extract one file" option. You will need your installation CD or cab files on the hard drive (c:\windows\options\cabs or c:\windows\options\install -- this varies with WinME installs)

You might also want to put drwatson in your startups at least temporarily. If you can get it to generate a fault log try uploading it here as a .txt file attachment.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;185837

Jawilki

Thanks Rollin Rog. I don't think I have any Iomega tools installed, but will double check. The Dr Watson sounds like a good idea also. As I said it is an intermittent problem that I haven't been able to cause at will.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts